Marine Biosediment

TTBoy

• SRC Member

Hello fellow reefers,

want to check if anyone out there is also using Kent's Marine Biodediment.

Below is the pdt description. This pdt is "supposed" to release calcium over time into the tank. Which to me was another marketing gimmick.

I used to dose calcium every alternate days to replace depleted calcium. However, ever since i added this pdt a few weeks ago. I have stopped dosing. I just checked my calcium level over the weekend and it was still at 480 ppm. So, i was really surprised abt this pdt. Just want to see if anyone who used this pdt had the same experience as me.

Will be testing calciums levels again this weekend to see if calcium level drops.

What is Marine Biosediment?

Kent Marine Biosediment is a blend of aragonite, calcite, and other minerals; it is not any mere aragonite substrate. Marine Biosediment has been formulated in ratios that not only provide a much more natural substrate composition and density than using plain aragonite alone, but also to slowly dissolve as a result of natural solubility and close-proximity bacterial respiration, simulating the processes at work in sediment found on reefs, in lagoons and sea grass beds, and around mangroves. Rather than being a blend of terrigenous (terrestrial in initial origin, i.e. silica sand, humus, etc.) particles, Marine Biosediment is composed of minerals naturally occurring in the afore-mentioned marine habitats, and therefore brings the aspiring hobbyist one step closer to providing his/her aquarium inhabitants a truly representative piece of the ocean. Over time, Marine Biosediment slowly releases trace amounts of calcium and other elements due to microbial processes taking place below the surface of the substrate; again, this simulates natural cycles taking place in benthic marine ecosystems.

Considerations for use:

Kent Marine Biosediment is a substrate composed of minerals typically found in and around tropical reefs. It is a blend of completely suitable materials, and contains no silicates, organics, phosphate, or nitrogen! The average particle size of these minerals is in accordance to natural reef sediment composition, particularly that present in reef flats and lagoons, where aquatic vegetation is both prevalent and important to the reef ecosystem as a whole. Marine Biosediment may be used as a primary substrate in reef and fish-only marine aquariums, although it is largely intended for use in refugiums and mud filtration systems. The benefits of using Marine Biosediment are numerous: macroalgae, mangrove seedlings, and turtle grass have the proper substrate composition in which to gain purchase, the collective density of the substrate is conducive to rapid denitrification (with time, bacteria naturally remove nitrate), and the metabolic products of bacteria facilitate a slow rate of mineral dissolution, releasing calcium, magnesium, strontium, potassium, carbonate, sulfate, and trace elements to the system’s inhabitants. For maximum effectiveness, place Marine Biosediment in a refugium and provide only enough water flow so as to prevent sediment from being lifted into the water column. This product will dissolve very slowly over the course of time; it is recommended that new Marine Biosediment be added yearly to replace that which has dissolved. Small sand-sifting fishes and invertebrates such as sleeper gobies, burrowing worms, crustaceans, echinoderms, and mollusks can be housed directly with Marine Biosediment, as their surface-sifting action may enhance denitrification in lower layers.

• SRC Member

Well, its sold out already :unsure:

i bought 2 big plastic tubs to try out cause my DSB sand sort of got compressed. So i wanted to try out this new stuff. It is super super fine. Even finer than the carribean argonite #1 sand. No matter how much i wash it, it is so fine that it turns cloudy easily. My whole tank was milky when i added it into my sump.

• SRC Member

I saw that stuff at Sealife. Too expensive to be used extensively but will be very useful for refugium. Finest sand I've seen so far. Literally like white mud!

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

ok folks, its been 2 weeks since i tested by calc level. And surprisingly, its at 440 today. i did not add any calcium since i added this biosediment stuff.

Seems like this stuff really works.

hmmm..maybe can hold off purchasing a calc reactor already :lol: