starting a 30Gallon

• SRC Supporter

hi guys,thought of starting a 30gallon wonder can it be called a nano tank.

intend to have some symbiotic relationship fishes like

2x true clown with 1x anemone

1x shrimp and goby pair

1x anemone crab

1x anemone shrimp

currently got

some pump and power heads with flow rate 1700l/hr

1200l/hr and 600l/hr

tank size is 24x18x18inch

its a normal tank without compartment at all..just a simple tank.

1xweipro 2012

intend to use 2xT5 tube.

sand bed will be bout 3-4inch high

the tank will be sitting beside my 5ft tank,current plans will be letting it run as a solo tank unless it needs to be link up with my main tank for filteration purpose.

anything else i need to get? comments and advise are strongly welcomed.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

Recommend 4...most likely u will be using ballasts that can each drive 2 tubes. So might as well maximize efficiency and use 4 tubes. 3 can be aquablue while the last tube can be actinic so that the tank won't be so glaring. I would have used 4 tubes instead of 3 if not for certain reasons..

Anyway..my tank is not nano..only the inhabitants are. ;)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Oh yes..take note of the heat that 4 tubes will give out. Either you use a reliable fan blowing 24/7 or you get a chiller. Or maybe an iceprobe? I don't suggest fans for small tanks. The evaporation in 1 day will make ur s.g fluctuate up and down.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

I agree about the temperature issue... but chiller is expensive!! you could consider a fan system with a relatively cheap DIY topup system using one of your extra pumps. I made mine quite easily... let me know if you need advice.

cheers! ;)

• SRC Member

I agree about the temperature issue... but chiller is expensive!! you could consider a fan system with a relatively cheap DIY topup system using one of your extra pumps. I made mine quite easily... let me know if you need advice.

cheers! ;)

• SRC Member

cheers! ;)

• SRC Member
Mind if I butt in? 4xT5 or 150W MH hotter?

For top up why not use drip method? No pumps needed. I use a 10 litre container to drip.

I think T5s are cooler... as for drip method I don't recommend it simply because it's not super reliable.. go out one day come back and the drip might have been clogged thus no water at all.. or it might have dumped too much water...

• SRC Member
Think I try to DIY a gravity feed siphon topoff when I got the time. Should be more reliable then drip method.

yup that's quite easy actually... I used to use one of those on my old 1ft nano... but it broke down one day due to a leak.. shucks..