Nautilus

pospeh

Your pix was too big... 1280 width... i reduced it to 700. You are going to be the next one to drink one cup of skimmate for this breach. :ph34r: hee hee!

Hmmm... interesting pix! How long has the system been up?

I heard the Nautilus is a very hard to keep species and should be kept on their own. They are hunters and prefer tanks which are not brightly lit. I doubt if they eat just brine shrimp. I think seahorses might become lunch too! :blink:

They come in occasionally at Pacific Marine. Don't recommend any hobbyists to keep them.

Besides, I find them spooky looking, their eyes remind me of mantis shrimps, praying mantis.... one big orb and one tiny dot as the pupil.... eeks!

AT

• SRC Member

Nautilus

Common Name: Chambered Nautilus

Region: Indian and Pacific Oceans

Description: The only cephalopods with an external shell.

Nautilus pompilius is the species most commonly encountered. Specimens entering the aquarium trade usually orginate from the Philippines. Nautilus species are found from 60 to 750 meters depth, the shallower range being reached generally at night only, when they migrate to shallower depths to feed. These creatures require special aquariums with chilled water 18 degrees celcius. These creatures should not be housed in a tropical brightly illuminated reef aquarium.

Similar: Several species of Nautilus exist, and a new genus was recently erected for one of them.

Ornamental. Reef safe*

Food: Carnivourous, feeds on crabs and shrimps.

Special considerations: Temperature. Nautilus live in cool water and do not tolerate tropical temperatures! Light: Nautilus come from deepwater where the light is spectrally blue and not very bright. They do not tolerate the conditions found in shallow reefs and are thus not suitable for the typical reef aquarium. *A deepwater chilled reef display (with black corals, Tubastraea, and other non-photosynthetic species) could house Nautilus. Diet: Feed whole crabs, including the shell. Calcium: Maintain high alkalinity for proper shell growth.

Hardiness: Growth as well as reproduction has been achieved at some public aquariums.

Lifespan: Months - years

Hope this helps..

• SRC Member

:off:

Hey Mango opps! :shock: Tango, which web site you get your info from? :P:D:upsidedown:

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you

• SRC Member

i've seen them at pac marine too, but does anybody know how much they cost?

everytime i see them they are reserved. most probably out to the US of A.

spooky is the right word & worth just setting up a 4ft species tank solely for them.Providing optimum conditions for them, a chiller to keep it at 20c & maybe a 2ft light set double FL, 1 x tropical tube 1x acitinic,on for mainly evening viewing(maybe 3-4hrs) otherwise off. Feed feeder shrimps in the morning & after lights off at night,include a sand DSB & some circulation & keep low stocking-maybe 3-4 animals per 4ft. roughly equipment setup cost total abt $1500.

dosage of calcium i guess a must too.

Otherwise they won't last more than a few months in reef setups.

i wish for more space! :D

well!, maybe if one day i could ever give up my peru L46 pleco setup. :ph34r:

• SRC Member

The ones I saw were quite active, with their tentacles constantly moving, like a mix between a cuttlefish and shrimp. As you can imagine, they are even move active when feeding. They basically hover in the water like a submarine.

Maybe the ones seen here are severely heat stressed for being kept at 26C+, and that why they basically "clam" up and are not responsive.