how to feed sun coral?

kee

• SRC Member

I got my method from fellow reefers here. Here's how i do it.

1. Spray some prawn/squid/seafood juice around the SC.

2. Wait for a few mins. The polys will slowly emerge.

3. Once opened, can gently place mysid/brine shrimp/seafood on its tentacles.

Once the food is placed on it, the tentacles will "suck" onto it and slowly swallow the food.

My 2 cents.

When you feed small chucks of meaty food, fishes and shrimps (boxer or cleaner, if you have them) will come in to steal some and that can be frustrating cause the individual polyp takes a few minutes to ingest the food fed to it. Read it in some other thread that you can minimise this by placing a cut-off mineral bottle (like a protective cover) over the sun coral.

When you feed small chucks of meaty food, fishes and shrimps (boxer or cleaner, if you have them) will come in to steal some and that can be frustrating cause the individual polyp takes a few minutes to ingest the food fed to it. Read it in some other thread that you can minimise this by placing a cut-off mineral bottle (like a protective cover) over the sun coral.

or just feed your shrimps first then feed the coral

Stairway to Heaven

I'll put my SC in a bowl, with water from the aquarium of course. Then swirl the water in the bowl and dumping mysis shrimp, food paste consisting of squid, silver fish, crab meat, prawns, fishmeat, etc. After abt 1 hour of feeding, put back in the tank. I like this method because I won't have that much uneaten food all over the main aquarium.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member
hmm how how how i like it alot dun wan it to die

bro, mai kia, will open once they sense food, from then, u can target feed them le.. i nv target fed mine..still alive.. they dun need much light from what i read.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member
I'll put my SC in a bowl, with water from the aquarium of course. Then swirl the water in the bowl and dumping mysis shrimp, food paste consisting of squid, silver fish, crab meat, prawns, fishmeat, etc. After abt 1 hour of feeding, put back in the tank. I like this method because I won't have that much uneaten food all over the main aquarium.

very ma fan leh

bro Rockyboy, u mean jus leave the sun coral in the bowl for abt 1hr with jus water from the tank?

Yep, I slowly put the sunflower coral in the bowl filled with the tank water. Then put the food mix in the water and stir slowly. If some of the polyps grab hold of the food, I would stop swirling the water and let the polyps gulp the food and stir the water again. Quite fun watching the mouth swallowing the food greedily. Cannot leave the SC too long coz the oxygen content in the water wont be enough.

Also, I put the bowl which has SC in it, into another bigger bowl where I put some tap water and ice to keep the smaller bowl water nice and cool.

The more food the SC eat, the more new polyps will grow. Mine already double in size in a few months :D

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED