Royal Gamma n Black cap Gamma

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

You have 5 royal grammas? hmmm, tot it was strictly 1 per tank?

yup, my 6 line was chasing the gramma around the tank too but it got bored and now leaves it alone. took nearly a week before I saw the royal gramma peek out of the rocks... it was a relieve.. my $40 still alive! hehehe, flooded the the tank with food for the straving gramma and was happy to see it eating the floating bits...

my blackcap seems to be hiding forever, even during feeding time. have not seen it eaten anything.

same here, haven't seen them since they decided to make themselves comfortable....luckily took some pics of them for rememberance before they went hiding..hehe

dun worry...they belong to deepwater species that like subdued lighting..i am sure just feed your fishes as per normal and they will get their food also.

• SRC Member
You have 5 royal grammas? hmmm, tot it was strictly 1 per tank?

I dare to put 5 gamma in a tank because I did it before many, many years agoand that time gamma was at $18 only.

YI would not put 5 black cap @ $80 each and that is no way man. Have not try it before and the price is not cheap.

Just like my True crown I have 3 in my tanks.

Roidan, the royal gramma is also supposed to be deep water species rite? but more adventurous huh? weird...

nothing weird alfa, royals are found in shallower waters than blackcaps...

i posted the link in this thread...seems like u din read in detail...

do read more :lol:

The two valuable species and their congener are found in the same sorts of steeply (seventy percent plus) inclined reef fronts, aka "walls". The Royal Gramma occupies the shallowest waters, very generally from the surface to 60-80 feet, being dislocated by the Black-Cap, Gramma melacara, which is in turn is displaced by the third Gramma species, the yellow-cheek Gramma linki, at 120-160 feet on down.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/grammas.htm

and one of the main reasons why blackcaps cost more than royals are that the divers have to go deeper to get them....remember those helfrich firefishes? they are expensive not because of rarity, but because of the depth in order to find them :)

Hi bro Roidan,

I currently have a Royal but, I just can't bring myslef to pay for something that is more expensive and yet I might not see it.

What is your take? Maybe with your enlightenment, PR will have another buyer. ;-)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

if u are afraid that u may end up not seeing it...

i suggest u dun get it, coz what you fear is probably what we guys who have it are facing...

i am sure some bros with blackcaps will have success in having the blackcaps swimming around often, but such acts are probably against their natural behaviour in the wild with our often brightly-lit tanks...

:)

:D

Thanks bro,

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

same here, haven't seen them since they decided to make themselves comfortable....luckily took some pics of them for rememberance before they went hiding..hehe

dun worry...they belong to deepwater species that like subdued lighting..i am sure just feed your fishes as per normal and they will get their food also.

I can still see it as it's hiding in an area easy for me to locate. It's just that when feeding time, it doesn't come out to eat. Actually I have a pair of helfrich, both used to swim about together, but now one of them keeps hiding. Thought it was dead but found it hiding underneath some rocks. Seems so weird that suddenly it just decided not to come out anymore.

Wee, they are still sleeping together. :lol:

:off:

Back to the blackcap, since it's a deepwater fish, do you think can try feeding it when the light's off?

床头吵架, 床尾合 :lol::off:

from the article above, it seems that blackcaps are generally found from 80feet to 120 feet under water....

not a diver myself, i wonder at mid day, what is the light intensity at such depths of 80-120feet? probably dark right?

yeah..maybe feeding in the dark may help....but if they have found somewhere dark amongst the rocks in our tanks, they should also eat whenever you feed the other fishes....coz, to them, it's dark already...hehe

I saw them eating while they were being fed at PR, so should be no problems. Just target feed them with a syringe or something if they are shy to emerge.

Oh yes derf, a little sidetrack..if your helfrich is not a mated pair one might actually have become dominant and has been bullying the other one. IMO it would be best to separate them. I once had a 'pair' of firefish that were getting along fine and sleeping together... one fine day one of them slimpy wacked the daylights out of the other. In the end the other one was literally bullied to death. And it had no brains to swim to the other side of the tank to escape the bully.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

I have just released my black cap into the 2ft with my royal gramma last night....

my loreto is more establish but smaller than the black cap....

this morning checked ...no injury ..nothing...still monitoring..............saw the black cap exploring ard .....I think he frightens my loreto...

will try to get a pic of them this evening and see.....hope nothing happens

aiyah...he is still new in the tank...I figure he'll look like a moray once established......just stick out head to see the outside world only

• SRC Member
Oh yes derf, a little sidetrack..if your helfrich is not a mated pair one might actually have become dominant and has been bullying the other one. IMO it would be best to separate them. I once had a 'pair' of firefish that were getting along fine and sleeping together... one fine day one of them slimpy wacked the daylights out of the other. In the end the other one was literally bullied to death. And it had no brains to swim to the other side of the tank to escape the bully.

:off: too .. true.. u might want to seperate them... my fire doing the same as fuel... been sleeping together for few months but recently bit the smaller fire's fin ... but at least the smaller fire is smart to go to the other end of the tank..hehhe

• SRC Member
I saw them eating while they were being fed at PR, so should be no problems. Just target feed them with a syringe or something if they are shy to emerge.

I have not tried target feeding it. Will try it tonight.

The helfrichs are definitely not fighting. had them for 2-3 months already, no problems at all. They still sleep together everynight.

• SRC Member

:off: too .. true.. u might want to seperate them... my fire doing the same as fuel... been sleeping together for few months but recently bit the smaller fire's fin ... but at least the smaller fire is smart to go to the other end of the tank..hehhe

sigh... guess I'll have to do that.

back to blackcaps and royual grammas...