Royal Gamma n Black cap Gamma

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw my ROYAL gramma (from LCK recently) open his big mouth (like my brazilian gramma) at the lyretail blenny in my 2ft tank... think it is territorial.

Guy may be mild in temper...but not so with fishes of small size or same genus......

I will probably get one blackcap soon...will try it out in my 2ft tank and see how it goes.....if there's aggression...can catch easily B)

Hai...too bad i keeping small crustaceans...now can't even keep royal gramma or black cap unless I get another tank? :ph34r:

Heh..looks like I have to spend the $$ to buy blue neon gobies. ;)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

The single most important 'tip' on picking Grammas I can grant you is to be patient; wait a good week or two after your supplier receives theirs to purchase them.

For tank-raised individuals, this brief period will allow acclimation to aquarium conditions and virtually eliminate incidental losses.

Freshly imported caught specimens way too often suffer from post-decompression stress... and something else; the ill-effects of chemical tranquilizing. Florida outlaws the use of quinaldine and MS-222 (tricaine) but their use in other capture areas of the Caribbean is pervasive. Though not the scourge of cyanide use, there is decidedly higher mortalities associated with true anesthetic versus 'pure' hand netting.

How to tell which type of capture technique has been used? You can't; just wait for a week or two. Trust me.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/grammas.htm

i think after this weekend...no more liao...haha..

where can wait for 2 weeks? :lol:

Territoriality in these species dictates that they be safely kept one to a tank... unless you can buy 'known pairs', or have a five or six foot plus wide system. Each individual needs about a half yard of bottom. If you intend to try your luck with more than one to a tank, by all means place them all at once.

• SRC Member

thot they semi-aggresive and territorial...might not be so safe to have one if there are small inverts around :huh: . but if there are reefers who have experience having black cap co exist peacefuly with small invert...might be thinking of getting one :D

• SRC Member

Thats good to hear Roidan. As for myself, my royal gramma have started to be more adventurous and exploring the tank and the 6-liner got bored of terrorizing it so leaving it alone now. Guess my royal gramma passed the test of the 6-liner.

Now do i subject it to the test of the black cap gramma? hehehe