Let's see your marine tanks!

Achilles Tang

• SRC Member

hqi is double ended bulb.

single ended ones r called mogul base bulb.

most ppl in s'pore uses hqi. me n hon use hqi

iwasakis r single ended. u r correct tt they blast out par. no other SE bulb can do the same. hqi only can come close. hqis olso lose their intensity and shift spectrum very fast.

6500k bulb r very very yellow n u may not like it, whereas 10ks r nice crisp white.

maybe this can help u decide par comparsion

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Yep,

the difference in PAR comparison between HQIs and Iwasakis is distinctive!!

So, According to the infor, Placing a 250W iwasaki Bulb with a PAR of 140 6 inches from the water surface will result in around 1260 PAR.

with reflector... shld improve by 50%, resulting in 1890 PAR.

so 50% of this is lost at 6-12 inches depth and only 25% remains at 24 inches...so know where to place the corals now...hehehe.

If excess light results in colour pigmentation changes.... then would high PAR results in SPS corals colouration change by placing them in different depths of the aquarium..???

The crisp bluish sheen from 10000k would definitely help in the appearance of the reef tank but would it contribute to the corals needs in light requirements....

Please advise...

Phang

My first mini set-up...pei sei pei sei...green bird showing a little tank:)

Hey Jeremy...!! :P

Finally I see your tank... not too bad for a newbie... but I see a bad mistake happening... that big star fish is NOT reef-safe!

You will find your coral polyps being eaten... better return it back to the LFS.

:)B)

AT, yes it's an aquatechnic tank......almost 6 yrs old liao.

I thought so! :) I also recognized the cyarina / scolymia species from them... I have two beautiful ones in my tank too! Here they are: lousy shots though coz i borrowed somebody's cam and I was learning how to use it for the first time...

redcynarina.jpg

greencynarina.jpg

How much did you pay for your tank and whats the specs?

I paid a very very high price for it.... 3 figures.. <_<

But it's very rare to find it in this colour... so go figure... I have never seen anything like this in all my years of LFS visits.

I have a little red one.....

Hope this picture helps ya find....

Sorrie the pic is not too clear as it was taken at night (when the coral is zzzZZZZ) :lol:

Its usually bigger in the day...

Cheers...

L|o

post-7-1033065085.jpg

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now

• SRC Member

I thought so! :) I also recognized the cyarina / scolymia species from them... I have two beautiful ones in my tank too! Here they are: lousy shots though coz i borrowed somebody's cam and I was learning how to use it for the first time...

redcynarina.jpg

greencynarina.jpg

How much did you pay for your tank and whats the specs?

AT, I bought only the tank, the aluminium stand, and the sump (now chucked for a self-designed sump/ refugium) from them. It was set up 6 years ago as a freshwater planted tank and only became a marine tank June 01. Capacity of the tank is about 270 litres and the sump/ refugium holds another 35 litres or so.

Oh yes, the scolymia/ cynaria- my favourite corals. I'm always on the lookout for spectacular specimens. The red one you have is gorgeous. I've bugged Alice at Aquatechnic to sell me her orange one but when she mentioned $250 earlier this year, I almost dropped dead. When I figured out what the heck, go get it, she wasn't willing to sell anymore! So your 3 figure sum paid seems to be a reasonable price as I've not seen these kind of corals for a long time.

The green one (my fav coral in the tank) you see was bought from pac marine in Aug last year for 30 bucks. It's diameter is now easily 7 inches on a good day. I've recently bought another orange striped one from them (2 inches) for the same price. Will post a pic on this coral soon.