Alternative way of sealing... S.glue + Baking Soda

ervine

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

I was reading in RC some time back that someone used superglue (normal) then while it was wet sprinkled some baking soda over it to form a better seal...

Tried it today to fix a leak in my skimmer.. and I must say.. WOW.... this thing turns ROCK SOLID almost immediately upon contact with the baking soda...

Buy those superglue 4 for $1.00 best... just throw the glue everywhere then sprinkle and voila.. super solid

But be careful it's so damn solid you need to literally chisel your way through it... and it's pretty messy so unless you are like me who doesn't give a damn about DIY looks then go ahead and try it..

Just tot I would share...

Ervine

• SRC Member

Guess that external seal should works fine, but beware of hydorstatis pressures acting on the body. Parts that hold together and difficult to come apart does not mean that it seals perfectly and not leak. In-water application better to use silicones or specific adhesives that have similiar properties of both bodies to be bonded. IMHO.

• SRC Member
Guess that external seal should works fine, but beware of hydorstatis pressures acting on the body. Parts that hold together and difficult to come apart does not mean that it seals perfectly and not leak. In-water application better to use silicones or specific adhesives that have similiar properties of both bodies to be bonded. IMHO.

yes that's true... can still seep through the tiny capilary cracks and so on... but if you want something really quick and strong this is it... silicone while effective in waterproofing won't hold a joint... the thing about superglue is that can seep into little cracks here and there...

Oh BTW, superglue + silicone doesn't really work either... superglue doesn't adhere well to silicone...

and no it won't possibly work underwater simply because you can't sprinkle baking soda underwater... maybe if taken out of the water? Might be good to hold frags but then again maybe not...

and you CANNOT sprinkle the baking soda BEFORE you connect the two surfaces to bond... simply because the minute you sprinkle the baking soda it hardens making it impossible to bond.. trust me I've tried...