cooling methods

RMX

most ppl resort to fans or chillers to bring down tank water temperature. using fans will result in evaporation and using chillers will result in burnt pockets.

has anyone thought of using radiators, much like those used in cars but maybe smaller. can pump water into the radiator and have a fan flowing at the cooling fins. anyone think its feasible?

• SRC Member

To get a good flow rate through those intercoolers, you will need a pressure rated pump, which generates a bit more heat. A bit self-defeating.

Since heat is removed by conduction, the lowest you can go is actually air temperature, unless you spray water on the intercooler so that evaporation can take place and further remove heat.

Good idea in an aircon room.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

but in this case, wouldn't it increase the room temp as well?? forcing the aircon to work harder??? :blink:

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

actually i thought of this and made a search on this. found out that ppl are doing this to bring down the temp of their ocerclocked cpu.

they use eheim pumps to pump water into a motorcycle radiator, from there to a a selfmade 'cooling block' attached to the cpu chip, and back to the water reservoir. a fan was used to blow air thru the radiator fins. all these equipment can be totally hidden inside the casing itself. even the hardisk was cooled this way, by runnning another cooling block in the water cycle.

so the cycle would be something like: water reservoir->radiator->hdd->graphics card->cpu chip->water reservoir etc

• SRC Member

There are Titanium and Aluminum intercoolers for Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution!!! :lol:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

me a CPU Overclocking fanatics.... the method u said is actually called water block cooling.... it works for CPU because CPU temp could runs more than 100 deg cel without any heatsink, even with a big heat sink + 7000rpm 60mm DC fand, my TB Altlon 1.4Ghz O/C at 1.61 Ghz could reach +- 57 deg at idle.... , by using a water block attached to a radiator, the temp could bring down the CPU to min 35~40 deg cel... because the water temp is much more lower than 100 deg celcius....

as for our water tank.... do u think the temp could be brought down by another water supply which is around the same temp ????

me a CPU Overclocking fanatics.... the method u said is actually called water block cooling.... it works for CPU because CPU temp could runs more than 100 deg cel without any heatsink, even with a big heat sink + 7000rpm 60mm DC fand, my TB Altlon 1.4Ghz O/C at 1.61 Ghz could reach +- 57 deg at idle.... , by using a water block attached to a radiator, the temp could bring down the CPU to min 35~40 deg cel... because the water temp is much more lower than 100 deg celcius....

as for our water tank.... do u think the temp could be brought down by another water supply which is around the same temp ????

I seriously doubt if it would be worth the effort making such a contraption just to cool the marine tank. Imagine even if you did save some $$$ doing it, the thing now is how would you control the cooling of the water, it gets really quite complicated and on top of that, your tank will look really starnge with lots of stuff all around it. Not too aesthetic I guess. Why not just get a chiller and call it a day? The newer generation chillers use titanium coils and so heat exchange is very efficient and it doesn't really burn a hole in your pocket.

• SRC Member

yap, agree.... a chiller looks much more nicer but there were a lot of members here who keep a marine/ reef tank due to the challenge that they met, eg, MONEY!! how many of us can afford a decent chiller cost more than $1000?? and the second hand value is damn low.... you dun expect to get back even 1/2 of the money if u want to upgrade/give up your hobby...

DIY is a solution when we face the restriction on $$$.... besides $$$, you could really feel the sense of satisfaction when u r able to DIY something where others can't..... u won't undestand the feeling unless you did it...

I face all short of problem from time to time, that is why i could make me stay in this hobby.... if nothing happen to my tank and I just sit back and look at my tank everyday..... i think i would give up this hobby since long time ago.... always remember.... challenge keep us moving :D:D:D

well, of course, this is my personal view, others might find that it is ridicules. Maybe i'm a nuts :D:D:D