Hair Algae Problems

• SRC Member

Dear all, ive just been told by my mom that my reef (well used to be) is now completely overgrown with hair algae, and all the corals, including lots of florida rics are now dead. :cry:

I was just wondering if anyone has used rowaphos, or any phosphate remover to successfully combat hair algae, or are drastic measures ie. tearing down the tank... more practical?

According to her, the flame angel, sailfin tang and the anthias are still alive so i wouldnt really want to tear the tank down unless necessary.

I have 2 emerald crabs in my tank, still alive, and this kinda shows their effectiveness at hair algae removal.

Pls advise... feeling kinda despondent now knowing like everything's dead and there's nothing i can do about it cos i'm studying in UK..

Thanx...

• SRC Member
Dear all, ive just been told by my mom that my reef (well used to be) is now completely overgrown with hair algae, and all the corals, including lots of florida rics are now dead. :cry:

I was just wondering if anyone has used rowaphos, or any phosphate remover to successfully combat hair algae, or are drastic measures ie. tearing down the tank... more practical?

According to her, the flame angel, sailfin tang and the anthias are still alive so i wouldnt really want to tear the tank down unless necessary.

I have 2 emerald crabs in my tank, still alive, and this kinda shows their effectiveness at hair algae removal.

Pls advise... feeling kinda despondent now knowing like everything's dead and there's nothing i can do about it cos i'm studying in UK..

Thanx...

Rowaphos or the new COntraphos Concentrate. But make sure you run it with a Rowaphos reactor.

Max

• SRC Member

Ask your mum to manually pluck them off first before running the rowaphos. It helps for my case. Resettle your mushies and other corals for the time being?

yap i use to have hair algae grow all over the place ..

what i did:

buy 4 snail( for 2 feet)

do frequent water change

intro ROWAphos in to my canister

everydae manually pluck them

create a refulgium...

decrease the photoperiod in the main tank...

now my live rock are clear of nasty algae except coralline algae...

sandbed are white and clear too....

u are in UK, then no one to maintain the tank?? think ur nitrate level is beyond the acceptable level liao....

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Has anyone been changing the water since you are studying in UK? Or only topping up?If the amount of nuisance algae has smothered even your mushies, i think theres a real problem. If there's no one to take proper care of the tank while you are away, I doubt any amount of Rowaphos would help..

Just my 2 cents..

• SRC Member

Thanx guys,

Yeah, i'm sure my nitrates and phosphates are way beyond. The tank was in good condition for a year before i left with no algae problems at all.

It was kinda a last minute decision to leave Spore, so i wasnt able to sell off or transfer my lifestock to someone else. And i kinda wasnt expecting a disaster on such a major scale.

I am so not keen to see the tank in my room when i return next month... all the hard work and $ all gone down the drain... damn depressing... eugh...

• SRC Member

If your mother is not aware, tell her not to overfeed the fishes (her adoptive children) and don't add unncessary additives, better not add at all, all these contribute to algae problem otherwise you come home to a jungle.

Hait algae if not control in the beginning can grow and spread very fast encrusting an kill your corals, a real nuisance. I have to change 30% of my LR to cut off this problem a year ago.

• SRC Member

lightningstrike> Suggest you find a kind hearted buddy and see if you can ask him to pop over to your place possibly monthly to help do water changes, check parameters and health of lifestock... imagine the effect of one dead toxic sinularia...

Wish i had made caretaking preperations prior leaving the country... then wouldve prevented this disaster.

Maybe someone here with creative thinking and entrepreneurship can set up such a firm? Hahaz... i'll be customer no.1... :idea:

But for now... :cry2: