DSB Sump Project

Domino

• SRC Member

:lol: Hi!!

I've been really busy these past weeks, no time to do anything on my aquarium or surf SRC!!

Finally some free time :D

My main tank is 4'x 1.5' x 1.5'. It's been runnig flawlessly :whistle since I started 4 months ago. NH3 NO2 PO4 are all at undetectable levels. LS is 5x Chromis, 1 x yellow tail damsel, 2x banggai, 1x BT, 2 crabs, 1 shrimp, two astrea snails and 2 small softies. Never experienced any LS loss except for one snail (transfer shock probably...)

My NO3 seems to be the only problem, it has been steadily rising and is now at around 20ppm. Not catastrophic yet...

I plan to make a sump with an 8" DSB mainly to reduce NO3. Is this the most effective way to reduce NO3?

Planning to make a sump to fit in my cabinet (refer to drawing below). Dimensions are weird and somehow small because it will be custom made to fit in just nice.

Curently I use a canister filter. I want to get rid of it as I feel it is not "trapping" so much anyway and it's a hassle to clean. In the sump I plan to put a first layer of thight filtration (wool type) that I can just dispose of often when it gets dirty :idea: .

My main questions are on the DSB:

-will such a small DSB have a relevant impact on the NO3? (basically 1 Sq Ft)

-Is the rule the deeper the DSB the better? or is there some sort of optimal height?

-what sort of sand should I use? can I use a small layer of livesand from the sea to "activate" the DSB?

- what should the flowrate over the DSB be?

- there is this whole issue of DSB giving toxic gases if not stirred a little bit constantly. Will the bugs in the sand do the work or do I have to add anything?

I really welcome all comments on this project? :thanks:

I hope to start this WE or next :yeah: ...

post-9-1084457276.jpg

• SRC Member
:lol: Hi!!

I've been really busy these past weeks, no time to do anything on my aquarium or surf SRC!!

Finally some free time :D

My main tank is 4'x 1.5' x 1.5'. It's been runnig flawlessly :whistle since I started 4 months ago. NH3 NO2 PO4 are all at undetectable levels. LS is 5x Chromis, 1 x yellow tail damsel, 2x banggai, 1x BT, 2 crabs, 1 shrimp, two astrea snails and 2 small softies. Never experienced any LS loss except for one snail (transfer shock probably...)

My NO3 seems to be the only problem, it has been steadily rising and is now at around 20ppm. Not catastrophic yet...

I plan to make a sump with an 8" DSB mainly to reduce NO3. Is this the most effective way to reduce NO3?

Planning to make a sump to fit in my cabinet (refer to drawing below). Dimensions are weird and somehow small because it will be custom made to fit in just nice.

Curently I use a canister filter. I want to get rid of it as I feel it is not "trapping" so much anyway and it's a hassle to clean. In the sump I plan to put a first layer of thight filtration (wool type) that I can just dispose of often when it gets dirty :idea: .

-Is the rule the deeper the DSB the better? or is there some sort of optimal height?

-what sort of sand should I use? can I use a small layer of livesand from the sea to "activate" the DSB?

- there is this whole issue of DSB giving toxic gases if not stirred a little bit constantly. Will the bugs in the sand do the work or do I have to add anything?

I really welcome all comments on this project? :thanks:

I hope to start this WE or next :yeah: ...

It will be good to make a baffle plate after ur DSB so as to reduce air bubbles carried to ur main tank.

Eric

• SRC Member

Thanks guys!!

Yes, there is an extra pump for the Weipro 2013 skimmer... I still need to work out the space a bit to fit the pump in.

the return pump also should go through the Resun CL 650 chiller.

Hmm..I don't use any wool at all. I can't bear the thought of it trapping uneaten food and then slowly letting the food rot when it is trapped. How often can you change wool anyway? For me I just let the water flow straight into the dsb compartment where any uneaten food would get consumed by microfauna. It's your personal preference. ;)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

:thanks: for the feedback!

Yeah, I was thinking this big Filter chamber is to big and is a bit of a waste...

Eric: is a "baffle plate" the technical term for the two plates like just before the DSB?

Any advice on the DSB itself?

cheers ;)

• SRC Member

You might wanna consider the DSB being so high. With the water flowing over it, sand might sweep over to the next compartment. While my sandbed is not as high as yours, I have to use some LR to block the flow as it enters that compartment. If not sand will be floating everywhere. BTW I am using grade 0 sand.

• SRC Member

Thanks delirium! That's a very valid observation!

the water flow would mess up the DSB. LR is a solution... how about using a layer of thick coral chips on top to secure the DSB surface?

• SRC Member

Coral chips might work. What I did was create a mini rockwork against the panal where the water enters using small LRs. Without it there will be a deep hole created in the sand bed. Sorta defeats the purpose of a DSB eh? ;)

• SRC Member

For a proper DSB to work, the area shd be as big as ur main tank or even bigger. Well anyway, anythin smaller than that will make do juz for the ease of the mind.

Ur DSB will probably mature 6mths and above down the road and till then u may wanna consider on how to tackle ur present nitrate problem. Coz ur NO3 will be on the increase. ;)

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

If you could add more sand in your main display tank to create a DSB there, plus this sump DSB workin together, your nitrate processing capability will be doubled. Seed it with life sand or live rock to have a population of planktons as true healthy DSBs comes with them. :)

"Less technology, more biology" --- John Tullock

• SRC Member
:thanks:  for the feedback!

Yeah, I was thinking this big Filter chamber is to big and is a bit of a waste...

Eric: is a "baffle plate" the technical term for the two plates like just before the DSB?

Any advice on the DSB itself?

cheers ;)

Ya, baffle plates are something like ur 1st compartment........to help eliminates bubbles...........

Notice the bubbles trapped in between the baffle plate on the pic.....

p/s: the bubbles on the last compartment is cause by my kalk drip, have since shift the kalk drip to the 2nd compartment....

post-9-1084507469.jpg

Hi all.. a new member here.

Although I'm not into marine setup but am very interested in the filtration technology for both marine and freshwater setups. I currently have a 6x2.5x2.5 feet freshwater setup with a 4 feet sump.

My query is, I setup a compartment in my sump for DSB. I'm using grade 0 sand also and have both under & overflow for both inflow and outflow of water. I'm quite sure that DSB works in freshwater setup but I do here of people saying it doesn't. Can anyone clarify on this and the reason if its true? Also, how long does it usually take for a DSB to mature?

post-9-1085116572.jpg

The design of your sump is wrong as water should only be allowed to flow over the DSB and not right through it. Anyway, why do you need a DSB in a FW setup? Frequent water changes and maybe the use of freshwater plants will easily remove any nitrates.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

The design of your sump is wrong as water should only be allowed to flow over the DSB and not right through it. Anyway, why do you need a DSB in a FW setup? Frequent water changes and maybe the use of freshwater plants will easily remove any nitrates.

Nitrate levels in FW setups can also get very high due to reasons of high bioload and also keeping of large predatory fishes.

My DSB thickness is about 8 to 9 inches deep. My thinking is that the due to the depth and compactness of the sand, extremely slow water flow through due to resistance of the sand media. If only water flow over the top, hydrogen sulphates may form at the bottom of the DSB which would be harmful to fishes. Also, the compartnemt prior to the DSB is full of Biohome, CC and CR where aerobic Bac will use up most of the oxygen in the water. So water reaching the DSB would be quite oxygen starved the anaerobic Bac denitrification process.