just got this crazy idea...

• SRC Member

hi... just got up this morning and got this idea..... i wonder when we are doing water change, we throw away alot of water..... why not save some of it..... i intend to save 2 tupperware full of seawater... then microvave it........ then freeze the water....... then add it to the next batch of seawater i am making....... wonder if this works.... anybody can verify it..... its something like newwater..... actually thats my inspiration......

• SRC Member

it's not the germs and bacteria and whatever you want to get rid off when you do a water change bro.. it's stuff like dissolved organics, nitrates, etc...

Microwaving won't do a thing to get rid of these things...

And I don't think newwater does any microwaving...

• SRC Member

like what bro ervine mentioned, microwave and freezing the water doesnt remove the pollutant in the water... plp change water becaused:

a- to reduce the concentration of nitrate/ammonia/nitrite/other harmful substance

b- to replenish the useful mineral such as Calcium, iodide, strontium, magnsium...

etc.

c- Other misc reason which i dun really know...

• SRC Member

Microwaving doesn't kill germs unless the water boils for a certain amount of time.

I don't think you want to have boiling saltwater in your microwave! Why don't you just use a pot and gas stove?

I don't know what you want to do with sterile sea water.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Yeah, all comments are very right and make a lot of sense. Micro waving and freezing will in theory only eliminate live stuff which in most cases is beneficial to the system...

• SRC Member

y not u boil the water until it evaporates ? than re use the salt :P want nutrients, buy the bottle 1 and add :lol:

SBS_Transit

i can always put mine in an autoclave... :lol: :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

haha juz use the water to flush ur loos lohz... autoclaving only makes it sterile but wats the use... the NO3 n PO4 is still present in water... which over time if u continue with ur methods wld cause buildup of them to high ppm then ur tank will get lots of unwanted algae.... or do u plan to haf an algae farm? hehe jking

• SRC Member
marine man..... i dont know what are ur intention by saying "i just like to confirm it for u "ha ha ha".........

I do not have any bad intentions, I just say that the idea is crazy, not practical, thats all, don't go crazy over what I say.