Ultra-Violet Steriliser

piero

• SRC Member

Me using one too.....to prevent ich. Supposed to kill bacterias, but some said also kill good bacteria that benefits the corals. If u on it for a few days, u will get very good foaming in yr protein skimmer, IMO. Now only on it once every two days.....night only. Night time is cooler & UV can really produce heat man :angry:

Think I read somewhere about it being fundamentally wrong as water passes under the light too fast for the UV to work properly.

IMO employing UV in the sump reservoir may make more sense. I believe that is what some LFS are doing.

Just a thought, if the UV nukes a bug partially without totally killing it, wouldn't it become more resilient? :huh:

• SRC Member
Think I read somewhere about it being fundamentally wrong as water passes under the light too fast for the UV to work properly.

IMO employing UV in the sump reservoir may make more sense. I believe that is what some LFS are doing.

Just a thought, if the UV nukes a bug partially without totally killing it, wouldn't it become more resilient? :huh:

I don't think so. The UV destroys the cells and does not affect them with chemicals that they can become resistant to. Like burning them. Either they are burnt or partially burnt. No one becomes resistant to fire just by being burnt once. :o

I don't think so. The UV destroys the cells and does not affect them with chemicals that they can become resistant to. Like burning them. Either they are burnt or partially burnt. No one becomes resistant to fire just by being burnt once. :o

If the UV radiates the cells to reduce its lifespan then it makes sense.

However, I'll beg to differ from your point that no organism will become resistant to fire after being burnt once; evolution does wonders. :huh:

Micro-organism has been found living in lava hot rocks in volcanoes, it must have built up a resistance through evolution. Then again, I am just making an assumption. :off:

Back to topic, if an experiment of some sort could be carried out to isolate if the use of UV, and not any other filter media / medication, could reduce the, say the algae from proliferating, it may be more convincing.

• SRC Member

In one of my projects, I worked with UV resistant E. coli, there are resistant bacteria, but they are rarely formed due to being burnt. Rather, what happens is that a mutant bacterium with resistance to UV develops, given the selection pressure of UV exposure, the other normal bacteria will die out or become incapacitated, so the mutant resistant strain develops and becomes dominant.

UV sterilisers for aquariums are a joke, they won't even hurt the bacteria, probably giving them a good tan that's all. The output of these tubes are very weak so they are safe enough to sell to the public. Water reduces the power of UV greatly so anything more than a few mm from the surface of the bulb it will be useless. Also, the contact time is insufficient.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
In one of my projects, I worked with UV resistant E. coli, there are resistant bacteria, but they are rarely formed due to being burnt. Rather, what happens is that a mutant bacterium with resistance to UV develops, given the selection pressure of UV exposure, the other normal bacteria will die out or become incapacitated, so the mutant resistant strain develops and becomes dominant.

UV sterilisers for aquariums are a joke, they won't even hurt the bacteria, probably giving them a good tan that's all. The output of these tubes are very weak so they are safe enough to sell to the public. Water reduces the power of UV greatly so anything more than a few mm from the surface of the bulb it will be useless. Also, the contact time is insufficient.

:off:

For sale..

One unit of UV light set.. Interested please PM me..

:P

:off:

• SRC Member

If the UV radiates the cells to reduce its lifespan then it makes sense.

However, I'll beg to differ from your point that no organism will become resistant to fire after being burnt once; evolution does wonders. :huh:

Micro-organism has been found living in lava hot rocks in volcanoes, it must have built up a resistance through evolution. Then again, I am just making an assumption. :off:

Back to topic, if an experiment of some sort could be carried out to isolate if the use of UV, and not any other filter media / medication, could reduce the, say the algae from proliferating, it may be more convincing.

Ok. :bow:

• SRC Member

aiyah...buy oredy use lor... :P

anywhere, the design of any UV steriliser is the same...do a search, the basic design is all look alike B)

but as to whether it is effective in killing bacteria, Tanzy had oredy given it a experiment and concluded tat is is plain useless.... :P

butta, any idea y are people is using tis equipment :blink: , be it for FW or Marine tanks. :wacko: and it is selling at incredible high price locally & overseas :cry2: surely, there is some benefits :peace:

• SRC Member
and it is selling at incredible high price locally & overseas :cry2: surely, there is some benefits :peace:

I m using UV steriliser since day 1, so dont know whether is effective or not, but my friend told his water become crystal clear after using UV for his planted tank. :peace: