My nearly complete skimmer

typrobin

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
I am hopeless at DIY therefore had to buy off the shelf. BTW your bubbles looks big, any way to reduce the bubble size, the smaller the bubble size the better the skimmer.

AT advised me to adjust the air intake...reduce air intake and the bubbles turned out smaller....

yup, it work...will update some surprising results later....going for a jog....

• SRC Member

AT advised me to adjust the air intake...reduce air intake and the bubbles turned out smaller....

yup, it work...will update some surprising results later....going for a jog....

Hmm...good idea. Tried out on my modded weipro needle wheel. The bubbles are smaller and the foam are formed faster. Nice!!! B)

• SRC Member

since i've started using the skimmer, i didnt get any satisfactory result...only a little tea collected....

so i brought it to vinoth's place (while he is enjoying himself in India), without telling him....sssssshhhhhhhhhh

cleaned the collection cup of his H&S 150-F2001, and had a little competition....

this is when it all started at around 1500hrs today....

post-9-1085498305.jpg

• SRC Member

mine started to collect junk while the H&S is still breaking....

i feel that the bubbles are not fine enough to produce thick dry skimmate....luckily, AT was there to provide his expertise and advised me to control the air intake....i did so and reduced the air intake and made some adjustments to the water level....bubbles are finer and foam is thicker.......hope this time it will work.....

• SRC Member

With all the hard work and so little skimmate you should use your middle finger and not your index finger to show your pleasure! Ha ha ha.....keep us posted with more skimmate.

hey marineman...that was 5 hours of skimmate..not a full day of skimmate...if u noticed, the H&S have not even break....

and i merely smeared a little part of it from the cover of the collection cup....

• SRC Member

Sorry to burst your bubble bro but the reason why your skimmer started to foam faster is cos your skimmer neck is alot small than the HnS. It doesn't mean the HnS lost. It also means your skimmer is for smaller tank than the HnS in the photo. Even a weipro will skim faster because the neck is so narrow.

Another important feature is whether the skimmate can continue to collect in the collection cup as most times in a design the skimmate collects to the top and stays there. Meaning the skimmer neck height is an important aspect too.

If you keep the competition up for a week, you'll know why HnS just has no equal if using same wattage pump.

All spray type skimmers will require much higher wattage pumps to run than needlewheels.

I have been using HnS with a 18W pump and I've not seen any closer competition other than the much bigger becketts running on 150W pumps.

• SRC Member
Sorry to burst your bubble bro but the reason why your skimmer started to foam faster is cos your skimmer neck is alot small than the HnS. It doesn't mean the HnS lost. It also means your skimmer is for smaller tank than the HnS in the photo. Even a weipro will skim faster because the neck is so narrow.

Another important feature is whether the skimmate can continue to collect in the collection cup as most times in a design the skimmate collects to the top and stays there. Meaning the skimmer neck height is an important aspect too.

If you keep the competition up for a week, you'll know why HnS just has no equal if using same wattage pump.

All spray type skimmers will require much higher wattage pumps to run than needlewheels.

I have been using HnS with a 18W pump and I've not seen any closer competition other than the much bigger becketts running on 150W pumps.

yup...cookiermunster....u hit it where it hurt most....

just went back to take a look....the foam of the H&S was amazingly thick but mine was thin and wet...it couldn't foam properly because of certain design fault...the fault cause a bit of burping and collapses the foam whenever it builds up...

here are the results....dirt can be seen splashed all around the cover of the collection cup but no solid foam was built....

post-9-1085555660.jpg

• SRC Member

did more adjustments and managed to produce even finer bubbles...but burping persist....as mentioned by ERIC, the design for such a skimmer shouldn't be like tat...it will cause burping and disrupt the foam built up....

compare the difference between the foam in my riser and the foam on the cover of the H&S....

post-9-1085556079.jpg

• SRC Member

the foam created by the ULTRA-FINE bubbles of a H&S is extraordinary, i seriously doubt any other skimmer can produce such fine bubbles...

not forgetting the electricity consumption, vinoth's H&S is running on a aquabee which is 38W (i think) but i am running a eheim 1060 which is 65W ....

of cos the foam contains the dissolved organic compound very well, it goes on top and stays there...mine is like a volcano due to the burping....

hope i can solve the burping problem with my upcoming design.....

but $800-900 for a H&S, i will still go for my DIY skimmer which cost me about $300 (inclusive of pump).....anyway the electrcity consumption is $3.11 more per month...which will therefore take 200mths (16years) for me to earn back the cost of a H&S....no choice, i am a poor man....

anyone with spare cash? i would rather u guys go ahead with a H&S or even better, an oversized beckett....

• SRC Member
Nonetheless bro, its a great effort. At least you put in the effort to build something yourself. That in itself is admirable.

Great job and I'm sure if you continue to try, you will likely get some really good results.

Cheers

hey cookiemunster, thanks for the advise...really appreciated that u spent your precious time on my thread and even gave me your personal comments....thanks....

i really hope more pple will give me comments....especially DIY experts like cmswong, Joe_p, anthony, marineman and Tanggy....will update more when i have the time...thanks all!!!