Using Live Sand from the beach?

Domino

• SRC Member

Hi! ;)

I'm finalizing my new sump with 5"-6" DSB :D and can't seem to have much choice of really fine sand to buy here in Malaysia. LFS only sell gravel...

One of the LFS told me he stopted selling it because people get it FOC from Port Dickson. I was there a few months back and true enough, the sand was very fine and dark and had snails and crabs living in it. Yet I am very concerned about fuel and heavy metal pollution :sick: ... The Straights of Melaka are not really clean :angel: .

On another hand, getting the sand from the beach should make the DSB more efficient faster...

If I decide to get it from the beach, i plan to "cycle" the sump independently for a week or two to make sure it is OK to hook it up to the tank

What do you reefers think? :idea:

:thanks:

• SRC Member
Hi! ;)

I'm finalizing my new sump with 5"-6" DSB :D and can't seem to have much choice of really fine sand to buy here in Malaysia. LFS only sell gravel...

One of the LFS told me he stopted selling it because people get it FOC from Port Dickson. I was there a few months back and true enough, the sand was very fine and dark and had snails and crabs living in it. Yet I am very concerned about fuel and heavy metal pollution :sick: ... The Straights of Melaka are not really clean :angel: .

On another hand, getting the sand from the beach should make the DSB more efficient faster...

If I decide to get it from the beach, i plan to "cycle" the sump independently for a week or two to make sure it is OK to hook it up to the tank

Sounds great, run a magnet over it, re-circulate water through the DSB and put some active carbon packs to absorb any toxics for 2 weeks. Throw in a bit of prawn meat so as not to stave the infauna in the sand.

Eric

• SRC Member

Thanks Eric :thanks:

I hadn' thought of the activated charcoal and the magnet. Think I'm going to the beach this WE... ;)

I'll post the pictures of my new sump soon!

Hi! ;)

I've been using P D sand for the past 1 1/2 years in my sump and my main tank.There's no pollution or heavy metal detected.Try to collect the sand at BLUE LAGOON area during low tide.

• SRC Member

I been using sand for local beach since i first started last year at sept so far so good

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

i am going to east coast beach one of these weeks, maybe will take some for my refuge :rolleyes:

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member
i am going to east coast beach one of these weeks, maybe will take some for my refuge :rolleyes:

bro try pounglo beach less ppl but there a police post :lol: E coast beach sand not as white as pounglo beach

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

bro try pounglo beach less ppl but there a police post :lol: E coast beach sand not as white as pounglo beach

yup true, been to there before, the sand very white, like new 1 :lol:

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member

its a very deserted place IMO if u go there on the weekdays, i show u a map :lol::lol:MAP

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member

Hi!!

Wow, that's a bunch of answers... Thanks a lot for all the info.

Last WE I went to Pantai Morib. It's closer to KL. Same level as KLIA roughly. I got there and Sh*T!! it was high tide... Really high tide... So no choice, couldn't wait the whole day, I just picked up some sand and drove back. Sand is not as live as low tide sand...

Sand looks very nice, hopefully it is not too thin. Got some small clams in there too that are still alive after couple of days. The sump is running in closed cuircuit for the moment. As all looks good, I will test the water and hook it up to the tank this WE hopefully.

I really should post a pic...

• SRC Member

If there's any beach to go to for "miracle mud" substitute, it's probably gonna be Pantai Morib. ;) What's even better, it comes with sand/mud filtering clams... wow!!! :yeah:

Domino, do keep us posted on how it works out for you.

• SRC Member
If there's any beach to go to for "miracle mud" substitute, it's probably gonna be Pantai Morib. ;) What's even better, it comes with sand/mud filtering clams... wow!!! :yeah:

Domino, do keep us posted on how it works out for you.

Can post a pic of those mud filtering clams? Might have seen some locally but the sand is super black & stinky type, those small little snails lives on it..........sometimes there're even tube worms "tube" found on the sand surface.

Eric