spade

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
The Marine White lamps, do have an element of pink in their output, which can be nuetralised by using the lamps in conjunction with Actinics.

T5 lamps will run for a longer period than T8 tubes, and in the case of the Marine white lamp, there is no reason why you should not ba able to run them for two years.

In the Actinic lamp, we do still recommend changing them after 12 months use, because although the visual content will continue for longer than a regular T8 tube, the UV content does deteriorate at a similar rate, and in the case of the actinic lamps, the UV content is their principal feature.

words direct from the mouth of the horse

When I say two years, that is based on a day length averaging 8 - 10 hours

:huh::cry2:

• SRC Member
Tips on use... 

It is important, when using T5 high output tubes, that they are not powered by a unit containing magnetic, wire-wound ballast such as the standard Arcadia controller. Instead, they should be lit using a ballast containing a suitable electronic circuit board.

Arcadia produce two alternative products for this purpose:

The electronic controller allows them to be mounted into the majority of existing aquarium hoods - the controller being placed outside the aquarium, with its flexible lamp holder leads attaching onto the tube, which is then mounted onto the inside of the hood.

The Overtank Luminaire range of canopies includes models that are fitted with Arcadia T5 lamps.

Eballast will do the trick...buy from Nature Aquarium according to respective T5 wattage

Both the Marine White and Marine Blue Actinic T5 lamps are available in three sizes:

24Watts - 550mm -22"

39Watts - 850mm - 34"

54Watts - 1150mm - 46"

Size range

• SRC Member

dodo, can you do a break down of the cost for the whole setup? Also you did not mentioned about the heat generated. What other personal observance you have when you start using the T5? The pictures will only show the colour of the light, but a personal account from you will be the best.

• SRC Member
dodo, can you do a break down of the cost for the whole setup? Also you did not mentioned about the heat generated. What other personal observance you have when you start using the T5? The pictures will only show the colour of the light, but a personal account from you will be the best.

bro...slowly lar...i also blurr liao

• SRC Member

Price Range from Eaquanature:

24Watts - 550mm -22"

Marine White: S$51

Marine Actinic Blue: S$65

39Watts - 850mm - 34"

Marine White: S$58

Marine Actinic Blue: S$70

54Watts - 1150mm - 46"

Marine White: S$62

Marine Actinic Blue: S$76

I am using 39w 34" wif reflector...total cost of DIY setup...abt $150 :blink:

• SRC Member

Personal opinion(maybe sounds stoopid opinion to some :P )

1.Arcadia T5 is briter than FL/PL. Cast out pinkish outlook. But FL actinic will neutralised the pinkish colour abit. Thinking of getting T5 actinic, maybe will have better colour combo :unsure: Trying out T5 actinic tis week end :unsure:

2.Needed reflector to maximise the output of T5.

3.Generally, did not notice heat being generated. Even if T5 is turn on for 8hrs, I can still hold the tube in my hand :nuke:

4.Personal observation after less than 2 weeks of T5 introduction. Corals at first not reponding well. As days goes by, they started to extend their polyps more. In the RC, reefers have success in growing SPS under T5. They in fact discarded away their MH becos of the heat, running cost etc generated by MH

5.IMO, MH still have more intensity as it is a point source of light. But T5 gives the next better option/substitute to MH :sick:

Will be testing Deltec T5 soon :blink::evil: Will try to have clams if I manage to get my hands on one :evil:

• SRC Member
Btw dodo,

Understand you got a few T5 now,did  you bought them locally? where? izzit cheaper compared overseas? can PM me?

Thank you.

i bot locally...from Eaquanature...look to your top right hand corner of tis web page :blink: i thk u can get it from Yihu Fish Farm...but same price :yeah:

• SRC Member

from Arcadia

T5 lighting - Increased power from fluorecent tubes

Increased Power

Increased Intensity

Increased Penetration

T5 - A short phrase, which has sparked much debate recently, but what are the facts?

What does T5 actually mean?

The 5 is obviously relevant, and being as so much has been spoken about how much better these are than average fluorescent tubes, then surely it must refer to an aspect of the light which is five times greater - probably the strength of its output, or maybe its effective distance, or expected lifespan.

This is the understandable, but incorrect conclusion that many people draw. What the 5 actually refers to is an aspect of the tube that your fish, or invertebrate livestock, could not care less about - its diameter.

Technically, any fluorescent tube should be referred to by the letter T followed by a number. That number indicates the diameter in 8ths of an inch, so the one inch diameter tubes that most of us are familiar with are T8 (eight 8ths of an inch), and the fatter tubes that used to be the standard, and that are still used by some are T12.

So T5 actually only means a light with a diameter of 5/8s of an inch.

So why all the fuss?

Small 12" long, 8Watt tubes have been on the market for a long time - these are only 5/8 of an inch diameter, but they don't appear to be any more powerful than a regular tube. The reason being that these are regular output T5 lamps - when talking about the new type of lamps, we should strictly speaking refer to them as high output T5's, and it is the high output part that really makes the difference - producing a light of much greater strength than a conventional tube, and as a result the energy input into the aquarium is greater.

Also, light diminishes very rapidly as it travels through water, but with T5 lamps the effective distance is significantly greater than with conventional tubes, meaning that deeper aquariums can be maintained with an illumination that is effective to the base.

Arcadia's T5 lamps

We have developed two T5 lamps for use with marine aquaria, based on our existing T8 marine fluorescents - the "Marine White", and "Marine Blue Actinic" lamps, but with all the benefits described above.

For the marine reef aquarium, this means that the choice of invertebrates that can be stocked successfully is increased.

Certain species that would at best struggle to survive under T8 lamps, can now flourish under T5 lamps, meaning that a reef can be constructed using a range of soft corals, anemones, large polyp stony corals, and Tridacna clams.

They also allow for a deeper reef aquarium to be successfully maintained, as the light that they emit penetrates the water further, and can satisfy the light requirements of animals kept further from the light source.

The Marine Blue Actinic T5 lamp produces a spectrum which peaks at 420nm - This is the ideal wavelength for enhancing the natural fluorescence that is possessed by many aquarium species.

Size range

Both the Marine White and Marine Blue Actinic T5 lamps are available in three sizes:

24Watts - 550mm -22"

39Watts - 850mm - 34"

54Watts - 1150mm - 46" 

According to Arcadia the T5 spectrum is the same as the T8 spectrum, except that T5 got a stronger output. attached is the T8 spectrum chart

Marine White

mwhtespd.jpg

Marine Blue

mbluespd.jpg

Can anyone with Arcadia T8 verify that their white also produce pinkist lights??

• SRC Member
Yes, in fact I do. It looks like Arcadia is re-using the phosphors from their FL tubes in their T5s. Their original Marine White FLs are indeed slightly pink to the eye. It's anybody's guess as to why they put the red spectrum that high, AND still rate it as 9500K. Perhaps they'd be in a better position to answer that.

Spade, I thk in Malaysia(Roger fr aquarealms.com) Arcadia FL also facing pinkish outlook :eyeblur:

• SRC Member

spade , the arcadia marine white has a peak in the 600nm orange. So the word white is an understament, cause when i first got it i thought somethin wrong. Fish colours very vibrant under it though.

Yeh- i got one of the T8 arcadia running close to its 13th month & it glows orangish, pink if mixed with actinic.

Only seen mushrooms & leathers love it- zoos have trouble growing under them.

but i like arcadia's actinic tubes(& very reasonable too).

• SRC Member

Perpendicularly to the front or just use 49". For tanks that size, it will be as a supplement lighting to MH anyway.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif