Clean off brown algae on the wave maker?

But i don't have any kole, only got a pair of manual hands to clean off the brown algae...since mine is a small tank(2ft) so not prob in doing regular cleaning up(just wiping off all the algae on the glass... But i always wonder if i should clean the algae on the wave maker...? any idea?

• SRC Member
my tiny kole would love to clean tt up :lol:  most of my green and brown algae all chomped up by him :P

I'd love to go to your place to kidnap your Kole.. tempt me somemore.. :lol::lol: too bad, those i saw at LCK slightly too big for my liking... <_<

Anyway, when i had brown algae previously, what i will do is scrape it off and at the same time siphon it out of my tank so it doesn't circulate somewhere else. You can try that, more effective. but its only a stop-gap measure.

• SRC Member
Now i am siphoning out the remains of the brown algae alreadie. heard that if i dun siphon out..they will multiply more right? Thanks!

i think so... used to have 5 tangs that go crazy gg after the scraped off algae :lol:

• SRC Member

Yep, they kinda multiply really fast. Its really just a temporary measure. If your's is a new tank, then its normal to have diatom growth. i just posted this in 1 of the threads, so will copy here too. :D

1. Reduce photoperiod

2. Introduce rowaphos/contraphos/biophos 2

3. Reduce feeding

4. Regular (eg. weekly) water changes

5. Intro some cleaner crew to directly/indirectly help the problem

Mine is still a relatively new tank, it's about 6 months old. But the diatoms problem seems to be getting better each day, How does the rowaphos works?Or should i say, what is it? how do i use it? Cause i dont have a sump now, is it possible if i put it in my cannister? how i wish i have 5 tangs man. my tank cant even fit one tang!

• SRC Member

Its just a PO4 removal media, which means it removes phosphates in your water, algae/diatom requires PO4 to grow. you can place it in your cannister too, not a problem, jus place it in a filter bag and it will work fine... ;)

sure! do you know where i can purchase it? how much is it roughly? how often do i need to change it? another question.. do i actually need mechanical filtration in my cannister? or should i just live do without it? or should i take out my bio balls and bio rings?

pangz...check out the thread in X-glare...there is a RowaPhos bulk order.

LOL.....terry pangzs....already...here is the thread. ROWAphos hope it helps for the pricing wise..and u need to chnage it once algale show sign again after using that...For me,i only change once so far.. :)

thanks terry, but the price is a little steep. do you happen to know if there's any cheaper substitute for rowaphos? Cause i happen to be on a budget now, trying to save up some money to upgrade my skimmer. So, any advice?