DIY WIS reinforcement stand..

hermit

• SRC Member

recently just brought a WIS stand frm a reefer. however the stand was in a very bad condition already..................

touchup by sanding down the whole stand is more or less not tat useful..............

no matter how hard u put in ur effort in doing the touchup it will turn back rust again........

corrossion will still occur in all areas...............

so to make me have the apeace of mind i came out wif an idea of reinforce the stand wif 4 strong all weather pine wood...............

got it frm my company gabage collection pt..............

DAM SOLID WOOD FOR MAKING AQUARIUM STAND......................

post-9-1086170021.jpg

• SRC Member

hermit i doubt that the screw will be able to withstand the weight of a 3ft tank....

the important part i would say is the center of the stand...u should reinforce the center instead....

y not reinforce the horizontal wrought iron instead? dunno how to explain to u, maybe when we meet up then we discuss further...

i think by placing the wood this way, if your WIS gives way or loosens, it will stress the tank even more....

just my 2 cents worth...

• SRC Member

bro u are right

i have already planned for already only tat just now came back from work can only manage to saw to size these two pcs only.............

will continue tomorrow............

do the same to the 4 sides???

i think the stand is still not very secure..........

rust will still fail the stand one day!!!!!!!!!

it is better to be independent then to be dependent.......................

saw to size is dam tiring..........

arms almost dropped off??????????

for the 4 sides i will be joining the wood to the stand using a bigger bracket

so the total load pressure exerted on the stand will be evenly distributed

my center reinforcement is saw perfectly to the size...

it is tight fit................

so need to take them out then can put in the sump lor.........

anybody think will it secure anot?????

if u use it for ur own tank will u have a peace of mind??????????????????

AVERAGE MARINE 3FOOTER TANK SETUP WEIGHT ???????????????????????

:cry:

• SRC Member

some comments...

the weakest link in the whole structure now seems to be at the point where you screw into the wood and metal. if this part fails the reinforcement is useless.

you mentioned that the stand is already beginning to rust. from now on the place that you have screwed is going to be where it's gonna rust most, due to the redox differences of the 2 metals (jc chemistry). this will excerbate point 1 above.

Since you already have the wood for 6 legs, I suggest you add some horizontals (screw or nail wood to wood) so that the wood part itself is some sort of stand-alone structure to help support the weight.

• SRC Member

the point which u taking about is call a stress point....

metal will rust due to certain mechanical stresses in joints, redox differences, structure differences and all sort of nonsense................................

u r right bro......................

tats why i am going to do also.............

i will get a thick(ard 12mm) plywood to mount ontop of the stand ###### wooden reinforcement legs prior to placing the tank...............

this will actually give a dual support to the tank..............

and thus is wat i mentioned earlier saying

"it is better to be independent then to be dependent......................."

tats mean the wood and metal stand will not depend on each other to stay in place but will actually be independently to support the tank.........................

:upsidedown:

no matter how good a metal stand is it will rust one day..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway do you think it will be secure????