Skimmers of yesteryear

blackpuma

• SRC Member

Hi Forum,

I am coming back to this facinating hobby after a long lay off and have some very old skimmers, like the Sanders WT 350 and the Azoo super tri skimmer.

I am intending to set up a 3 X 2 X 1.5 fowlr with live rock and intend to use the sanders wt 350 as the sole means of water purification, if that is not sufficeint, I will throw in the Azoo as well. My system also have a sump measuring 3 X 2 X 1 and all the skimmers will reside in the sump.

Eventually when the tank matures, it will be stocked with at most 4 to 5 small fishes and some soft corals.

Any comments as to weather the skimming is sufficient, or do I really need a high tech present day skimmer to do the job?

I stay in the south and is the tap water there good enuf for such a tank or do I have to invest in a RO/DI unit for my salt mix ?

Thanks for reading this longish post.

Regards,

Blackpuma

• SRC Member

Your sander skimmer definitely not sufficient as your tank is pretty hugh - I was using this same sanders skimmer for my 1 ft tank with a 2 ft sump in my previous setup. The skimming was perfect though but too much maintenace. I am not sure about the AZoo skimmer - you could try running 2 skimmer.

Times have changed. Our water is no longer the same water before the SAR days. There are more chemicals like more chloramine and chlorine content etc. I remembered my brother whom used to have a fresh water tank - witness all livestock went up to heaven after a water change !!

If you could afford - it is always good to have a RO unit as the Water tank in our flat always contains bird shit and sometimes dead rats .... thus introducing nitrates and PO4 or you could choose the economical way by purchasing DI cartridges from some LFS - quite expensive in the long run. Even some of the reefers are using some filtration unit from DIY shop - I think it is Berita or something like that.... cheaper option. Or you could purchase some RO unit from ebay - those are pretty reliable as I have bought one for 600 ++ for a 5 stage RO system with about 3 years supplies of cartridges.

Hope this helps.

Happy reefing :)

• SRC Member

erm.... bro... IMO its not enough..... get those monster size skimmers..... ur tank and sump water volume is quite huge........ get H&S or something liddat...... dont stinge on skimmers.... u will regret it in the future...... hope it helps...... or if u want cheap skimmers.... u can try W@1p$o series.... it is IMO quite reliable... but not so good in terms of skimmate production....... hope it helps......

• SRC Member

acherly i tink its enuff.... he only wants to keep "most 4 to 5 small fishes and some soft corals"

assuming he keeps to his word, with a sump and life rock, tats enuff filtration. The 2 skimmers can keep up - plus softies like e water underskimmed. Many softies dont do well in overskimmed water (at least thats wat i heard and also experienced myself)...

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• SRC Member

Thanks all beri beri much for the answers. Maybe I can start up with a little life rock 1st and begin to add in more gradually.

Me have patience here and do not mind to wait 2 months or more for the tank to mature. The sight of water circulating in the tank with some live rocks already make me beri shiok already.

At all cost I do not want to create a stinky mess because of insufficient skimming and waste all my LR and my money down the lonkang.

Can anyone pls tell me where to get cheap price for we#@o skimmers.

Thanks for all the support.

weipro series skimmers are quite good. Within a $100....you can get a pretty good one.

Of course not the same as H&S needlewheel or AqauC EV series..or diyed beckett.... but for the price, it is pretty good.

I used to have a macro series skimmer as well..not too great for me....again..coz its cheap.

Our sponsor Octopus Bay and his spinal wheel impeller also can do a great job...but price wise...its more expensive than a weipro or a macro..

Hope that will give you a better idea of the skimmers today :lol:

BTW...a warm welcome back to the $$$ ###### hobby... :peace: .

Hi there and welcome to SRC!

Would definitely like to encourage you to get a good skimmer like H&S, you won't regret the extra $$$ you have to spend over a cheaper Weipro or Macro.

There is a big distinction in performance between skimmers.

AT

agree with boss....H&S skimmers are really good...but it all comes down to how much a reefer is willing to spend...

Weipro - Below $100 (moderate performance)

H&S - Cheapest now - $600 plus ..(very good performance)

Beckett skimmer - $600plus to $1000(+electrical cost of the pressurated pump) - excellent performance ;)

Can I use any pumps or has it got to be a special pump from H&S

For up to 400l tank...you can get the smaller one..about $600 plus plus(not sure actual price now) --> check out sealife at balestier, it comes with a aquabee needle wheel pump...you just need to a normal small pump about 600l/hr to pump water into the chamber..that's all

Alternatively..look out for a good skimmer at the pasarmalam...there's always good lobang there ;) recently a lot of AquaC skimmer upz for sale

• SRC Member
Tks all for the very warm wellcome.

OK, I am almost sold on the H&S Skimmer Where can I get one in Singapore. Can I use any pumps or has it got to be a special pump from H&S

Tks

You might wan to DIY ur own "H&S" skimmer, Very cheap & quite effective for my 3ft tank IMO.........

Tupperwares - $10 from carrefour

Atman pumps mod with bioball impeller - $18 + 1 bioball

Resun 700L/hr inlet pump - $15

PVC pipes, joints and Unions - $12

Total $55.........

Eric

post-17-1087114918.jpg

• SRC Member

You might wan to DIY ur own "H&S" skimmer, Very cheap & quite effective for my 3ft tank IMO.........

Tupperwares - $10 from carrefour

Atman pumps mod with bioball impeller - $18 + 1 bioball

Resun 700L/hr inlet pump - $15

PVC pipes, joints and Unions - $12

Total $55.........

Eric

Eric,

Nice work, give me more info on how to build this skimmer leh :P

looks interesting ....but care to show the efficiency since it is claimed

wan to DIY ur own "H&S" skimmer, Very cheap & quite effective

I always wonder whether what's the diff between acrylic, PVC or tupperware chambers and bodies... :nc:

• SRC Member
looks interesting ....but care to show the efficiency since it is claimed

I always wonder whether what's the diff between acrylic, PVC or tupperware chambers and bodies... :nc:

24hr skimmate..........not fantastic but good enough for my 3ft...........as for tupperware or acrylic? I think both will deliver the more or less the same result if given the same specs except one is presentable, one got to go hiding inside the cabinets..........hehehe

Eric

post-17-1087266840.jpg

• SRC Member
Good job!!! :yeah::yeah::yeah: maybe if we can buid a Beckett skimmer with the tupperwares :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bro...you are good!

Deepblue..........Shouldn't be a problem to build a beckett using tupperware..........but currently I got no pressure rated pump, so got to put that plan on hold first............Was thinking of detacting 2 x weipro venturi injector + 2 x needlewheel pump to make a "Mixed skimmer" using tupperware though...........I got a weipro injector at home, still short of one more...........you got any to spare?

Eric