Drilling holes in ceiling...

victorp

• SRC Member

I need DIY expert on drilling holes in the ceiling to hang things like MH fixtures, etc. Besides a drill obviously, what other materials do I really need and things to look out for (precautions, etc.).

Thanks!

TIP: is you have no confidence , dont drill .. and i think u need a raw plug to screw in the Bracket latter on..and of course a power drill with the corect drill bits ..and..erm, cover your tank with newspaper to avoid scaps of cement or paint falling into your tank.. **IMO,drilling is not that easy, i use lots of force that time and drilled a hole with sweat drolling all over my body... :)

TAke care and good luck

Regards:edwan :peace:

• SRC Member

if u find hard to drill on concrete try to use those drill bit wich design for drilling thru tiles......................

it is something like a spur tip drill bit.................

tried b 4 IMO quite useful....................

• SRC Member

make sure you are wearing a pair of goggles, as you will be looking upwards and the debris will be falling down.

next, ensure no embedded wiring in the ceiling. otherwise you may get a rude shock or be electrocuted.

all in all, observe safety.

• SRC Member

my way of doing it is to have a vacuum cleaner at the same time....

switch on the vacuum cleaner and point the nozzle directly beside the hole that u will be drilling, will suck up lots of dust before they fall on the floor...so far i've been lucky, never hit any electrical wire b4....

as for the wall plug, use the full metal kind that comes with a hook. IMO, it is much stronger than the plastic kind of wall plugs...it can hold immense weight but the hole need to be much bigger as well...

• SRC Member

You can get a small expansion bolt with a hook on the other end (for hanging MH),

just dill a hole on the wall, slot the expansion bot and turn the knob (bolt), the other end of the part will expand inside the wall and hold it there. It's so strong that it can even hang you there! Olden days people used it to hang the sarong with spring for baby to sleep. Very safe MH will not drop down!

• SRC Member

Got it from a Hardware DIY shop near my places. Should be a very common item.

For me, I got my contractor to do me a favor and drill for me while they were at my place to do something else...

I dunt really trust the holder which came with the lights... doesnt look strong enuff in my opinion. (the default is the right 'hook', now using it as backup in case the main hook happen to fail)... which i dunt think will happen lah... but kiasu...

that's a wall plug alfaromeo is using. it's commonly found at hardware stores. comes in diff sizes for diff loads. juz tell the ppl at the hardware store for what kind of load u want, they will recommend u the appropriate wall plug.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

no need to get the expansion bolt type.. so long as you use a proper drill in the proper mode.. i.e. hammer mode and then use a concrete drill.. you should be alright... the MH that you wanna hang is not exactly very heavy.. and besides.. if you really wanna hang real heavy duty types.. then you will need an anchor bolt... brand to get would be HILTI.. they are the most reliable.. stainless somemore...

when drilling.. set the drill to hammer mode... mark out the place where you wanna drill.. place the drill there and then press da button.. remember.. hold steady hor.. otherwise you end up drilling off tangent... pretty much common sense..

good luck.... ;)