Red Sea Prizm Skimmer

Anthony

Was looking at this for a while, believe Tango, Valleyman and ZeroCool are using them.

As far as I know, they're fine for small tank, but may not be able to cope with the larger ones. Its a hangon, so it wouldn't take up too much spade. You would fare better with real testimonials.

There has been some discussions on the PRIZM, do and search. :)

• SRC Member

RMX,

I think you did nto set it correctly, thus overflow. When you put the tube into the the corner outlet, you must turn the control valve untill all bubbles are suck through. There should be no sound at this stage. Then, change the air tube to the secnd hole and the sound change and the prizm will start skimming.

I'm using one on my 90G and it works well. I get very dark brown skim about 1/4 cup every 2 days.

I think (marine) therefore I am

RMX,

I think you did nto set it correctly, thus overflow. When you put the tube into the the corner outlet, you must turn the control valve untill all bubbles are suck through. There should be no sound at this stage. Then, change the air tube to the secnd hole and the sound change and the prizm will start skimming.

I'm using one on my 90G and it works well. I get very dark brown skim about 1/4 cup every 2 days.

i made sure the are no bubbles in the water inlet tube before changing to the air intake plug.

i have to set to pretty low flow in order not to let it overflow. furthermore, the skimmate is still kind of watery. just light brown color.

• SRC Member

RMX,

I experience the same thing as you the first 4-5 days I started using the Prizm but It went to normal after about a week. I discovered the water in my tank is clearer than before when I was using the sander system.

Mine is as thick as that. Also, in the funnel's side, it can be thick as semi solid.

chris, wats your flow like. how wide u open the tap? i been using the prism for at least a mth already. i do get solid gunk on the funnel walls. but the skimmate still watery and brownish at best.

• SRC Member

Hi Tango,

Mine is about the same as yours.

Have u tried smelling the brownish liquid ?

Hi Chris,

That's interesting.

If I turned it to max flow, it will be very watery.

Anyone knows what's the logic ?

I will be one happy dude if I can get darker skimmate man

Thanks, :D

• SRC Member

Hmmm how do u guys get dry skimmate in the CUP itself leh? I turn up the water till the bubbles can pop at the top of the mouth, and end up with the color and watery skimmate like yrs, Tango...If i turn it down, the bubbles stay in the mouth and NO skimmate is collected in the cup...how to get dry skimmate in the cup????? :thanks:

• SRC Member
I turn up the water till the bubbles can pop at the top of the mouth, and end up with the color and watery skimmate like yrs, Tango...If i turn it down, the bubbles stay in the mouth and NO skimmate is collected in the cup...how to get dry skimmate in the cup?????

Experience the same thing as Wedgee.

Chris, any other tweaking u did to get that sort of gunk ?

:bow:

• SRC Member

Ok.. Here is the tricky part...

First, you have to make sure that your prizm is sealed air tight.. Meaning after washing, the whole cover is placed back properly. the air tube fixed properly...

Then you have to play around with the valve.. I tried a few different flow rate and it gets different color skimmate..

Right now, I am experimenting with around 2cm below from the rim.. So more bubbles have to be formed to push the skimmate into the collection cup.. Resulting in darker skimmate..

If you have plenty of dark color skimmate, means that you are over feeding your fishes.. Hehe.. I have been controling my feeding patterns and seems like my NO3 has been reduced and also skimmate is not as dark as before..

Those are my own observations.. See if it works for you..

;)

• SRC Member

I don't do much...just wash the cup once a week when it's about half cup. (dark brown gunk) I don't even wash the set. And my flow is always max. No idea how to overcome the watery or no gunk problem though I've experienced that before. First week of use, all watery, then slowly became dark and until now ok.

• SRC Member

Chris,

How many fish u have? I have only 6 small fishes in a 3ft tank & all of them are on strict diet.

I have the similar problems as u guys. My valve is only at half flow. If i turn on just a bit bit more (maybe 1mm) i get overflow.

I have another problem. How u guys avoid getting micro bubbles flowing back into the tank??? Please please please help :bow:

Oh, something that i notcie may help. If yr inlet is somewhere near good/strong water flow, u get more bubbles even if yr valve is only half or 3/4 open. Try pointing yr powerhead outlet direction towards the skimmer inlet.....not next to it of course :P

:thanks:

• SRC Member

Just to share my experience.

I follow strictly to the instructions: tune valve till water level just below the black O-ring.

>>>>>>>> For this setting i get almost coffee skimates. But i must clean the cup often as alot of gunk gets build up on the inside of the reducing part of the outlet

Just tune the water level to below the O-ring and wait till the shimmer is broken in then adjust again. For darker or lighter skimmates. :phone: