Open brain receding. Why and any advice?

Bought a wellsophyllia/trachyphyllia radiata brain coral few days ago. Looks nice and well "expanded" when I bought it and introduced into the tank after acclimatisation. Placed it on the sand under 150W of MH.

Subsequently, noticed that my long fin bannerfish nibbling at it and as such, it starts to recede inwards. Just to add, I also noticed my halloween hermit perching on top of it, I didn't see it eating it, but I think the brain isn't very happy too. I chased away the hermit and out of desperation (cos I lost a T. geoffroyi similarly too and don't want it happening again), I fished out the bannerfish and temporary housed it in the QT. Anyway, when I did that, I think not much damage (i hope) has been done to the brain yet but its definitely not expanding as much.

Nevertheless, a night later, the condition seems to have worsen as it receded even more and some parts are showing its skeleton. :cry: I know that as a bad sign as the same thing happened to my T. geoffroyi. Sorry for the longish story, but need some advise as to why this is the case. Anyway, if this one doesn't pull through, don't think I will try this coral for the time being, though from what I read, it doesn't seem to be a very difficult coral. Anyway my other corals like shrooms, hammer, octo, torch seems to be doing fine.

I suspect it could also be due to my other LS in the tank - possibly the camel shrimps?? Cos I know they aren't 100% reef safe. I know I have a crab hidden somewhere in the LRs. Possibly the crab too? And oh, I also discovered that one of my hermit died mysterously just next to this open brain in the morning with legs all over outside the shell. :cry: Sigh! Wonder what that is all about too???

Water parameters seems ok except for NO3 which is always around 30ppm (Salifert) - still trying means to reduce it. PO4 at 0.03ppm. NH4 and NO2 both undetectable. Ca is a little unstable in the tank but dosing Ca and Kalk to try maintaining above 400ppm. Alk is around 8. PH is within ok range too.

Specs

Return pump: 2 x Eheim 1260 (with 1 pumped to chiller before returning to main)
Chiller: Hailea HC-500A (1/2 hp)
Skimmer: Deltec SC2060
Lightings: 8 x 24W ATI Sunpower T5 fixture
Wavemakers: Vortech MP40, MP10, Tunze nanostream 6045
Additives: TLF C-balance (2 parts Ca and Alk) via Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump; Polyp-lab Reef Resh; FM color elements

• SRC Member

You got long fin bannerfish in your reef tank???? :blink::shock:

It is not reef safe. Most probably have been nibbling at your open brain. Get rid of it. Camel shrimp is also not reef safe. Have seen them nibbling at LPS before.

You better research more on the fish compatibility before purchasing your next fish. If not you can say bye bye to your corals espcially LPS.

Yeah. I know about the bannerfish and camel shrimps being not reef safe but they were around before I have gotten any corals. So far, my hammer, frogspawn, torch, shrooms, gornio, zoo haven't had any problems. All except the open brain. Anyway, it seems almost impossible to get the camel shrimps out.

Also saw the bannerfish nibble at the open brain and thats why seperated the bannerfish. But the open brain still receded without the bannerfish.

Specs

Additives: TLF C-balance (2 parts Ca and Alk) via Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump; Polyp-lab Reef Resh; FM color elements

• SRC Member

had the same problem with you. Had an Emporar Angel which previsiouly does not nip at my corals. brought an open brain and place it in my tank for weeks without problem. then after 1 month notice that it does not open up and seems to be receding. In the evening, it stops extending its feeder to feed...after 1 week, it was in very bad stage with only one part of its body not receeding...I was wondering why until i caught sight of my angel nipping at the brain!!!!

I have since sold away my angel to a fellow reefer with fish only tank and the open brain seems to be recovering....it has started feeding in the eveing and half of the 'meat' seems to be opening up again....

interestingly enough, the angel only attacked the pick open brain but not the green one.....anyway, if you want to keep a reef, you need to keep a close look at your fishes and have to be prepared to let them go...

• SRC Member
Also saw the bannerfish nibble at the open brain and thats why seperated the bannerfish. But the open brain still receded without the bannerfish.

did you remove the banner fish from your tank?????

i could be just me, but when i place a barrier between the fish and brain, the brain still recede, only when i removed it for the tank did it start to recover.....but then mine didn't get until so bad that it shows the skeleton..... :blink:

Yes, I did remove the bannerfish but things didn't get any better. FYI, I removed the bannerfish within hours of introducing the brain so not much damage yet from what I see. I suspect it may be also some other LS (camel shrimps? didn't catch them redhanded though) and probably nocturnal ones since the condition got worse overnight. Or is it my water parameters?

Specs