MY DIY Tank!!

alvy

• SRC Member

Did this through the weekends...thank to AT and Wei for their help!!

this is photo shows the whole 7ft tank with 1 ft overflow! (effectively only 6 ft lah :whistle )

notice the wrong hole position for the wooden plank and the holes in the foam..well it was a mistake on my part..but the foam's melted by my adhesive...i'll get the holes redrilled after the Stand is done!

post-9-1046782018.jpg

• SRC Member

This is the overflow compartment..real messy :P

this employs a special design for my close loop as my close loop bulkheads are installed behind the first overflow panel (with a gap in between which will be properly strained)..in this way i would have less problems with fish fins or corals "kena" sucked into a convetional close loop fitting..my close loop returns comes in at the bottom back area of the tank!

wow :yeah::yeah::yeah:

alvy is your height 2.5 inch ??

The last time I saw Alvy, he was still around 5ft plus!

:lol::lol::lol:

Lucky you didn't say "Alvy, is your length 2.5 inch?"

:yeah:

This is the overflow compartment..real messy :P

this employs a special design for my close loop as my close loop bulkheads are installed behind the first overflow panel (with a gap in between which will be properly strained)..in this way i would have less problems with fish fins or corals "kena" sucked into a convetional close loop fitting..my close loop returns comes in at the bottom back area of the tank!

Alvy, looking good! :):bow:

Anyway... I used a screw-in strainer that comes with my bulkhead. How do you intend to strain the entire partition? I am worried for you also coz that compartment is so narrow... anything that gets in there will have enormous difficulty getting out... especially LS, coz you can't use tongs! (well, maybe snails!).

AT

• SRC Member

AT: no problem with the strainer part...will be cutting some 3mm gaps comb-like acrylic or pvc strips to cover the entire stretch..i think it'll work..if not i'll reduce the gaps to 2mm..hehe..wat are laser cutters for??? i wun worry so much about the fine sand..they just get suck into my recirc and get pump back into the main tank...i mean it happens whether you r doing it my way or the conventional way..

king: yup i dun like centre brace..so i used broader and thicker euro braces to compensate for the missing centres...i saw some tanks at pac marine showroom doing this way..so i'm tempting it too..

i'll be curing for at least 2 weeks before i fill it up!

Too bad my tank is 3ft wide... and my back glass is cut for the external overflow... and therefore not safe without the centre brace... haiizz!

:eyeblur:

• SRC Member

king: yes it is possible if you use 19mm glass with 316 stainless steel sleeves!!check out aquatechnic..they dun use euro or centre brace!! hey but i prefer eurobrace..it's a good splash guard!!!you'll really hate it when water splash out at the back panel!!!messy!!

hon:the gap between the 2 glass is 3cm..like wat AT says...anything goes in will not be accessible but be destroyed by the iwaki! well i'll do my best not to let anything big go it..sand is ok but i'll try to even prevent tt..

mv3i: tools??wat tools?? u just need some wood which can be gotten easily, lots of masking tap and the silicone gun and silicone...of coz i did get a 90deg clamp..but i din use it much...

wolfie: can't reveal..it'll drive tank makers crazy!!just say i got good lobangs for good polished glass for my own use...