Why is my clown fish not eating?

• SRC Member

:huh: Just bought a clown fish and have been in the newly cycled tank for about 4 days.

but, it doesnt seems to be eating when i feed it with flakes food or mysis shrimp...

furthermore, it always stay at the top of my power head...

what is happening? :erm:

the clown is is very small... less than 1 inch i think...

help! :cry2:

• SRC Member

If you have measured and experienced a ammonia peak, followed by nitrite and nitrate peak, and if your essential parameters are as they should be, most prob your tank is cycled. Some people do have tanks that cycle really fast. By the way, how long is your cycling period? :huh:

Back to your question on your clown. less than an inch? make sure your food is small enough to be bite size for your clown. My small percula doesn't really take mysis, only take the really small pieces. Try to mesh up your flakes and mysis and maybe soak it with garlic to encourage it to eat. You can also try frozen brine, smaller, easier for the small fella. ;)

Clowns seem to have a tendency to stay at the top when 1st introduced to a tank, it should start to move about after a while. Just my own observation. :)

• SRC Member
If you have measured and experienced a ammonia peak, followed by nitrite and nitrate peak, and if your essential parameters are as they should be, most prob your tank is cycled. Some people do have tanks that cycle really fast. By the way, how long is your cycling period? :huh:

Back to your question on your clown. less than an inch? make sure your food is small enough to be bite size for your clown. My small percula doesn't really take mysis, only take the really small pieces. Try to mesh up your flakes and mysis and maybe soak it with garlic to encourage it to eat. You can also try frozen brine, smaller, easier for the small fella. ;)

Clowns seem to have a tendency to stay at the top when 1st introduced to a tank, it should start to move about after a while. Just my own observation. :)

oh... smaller bite size... :D

I notice that it will take a bite of the food at first, before splitting it out....

Is it that the food is too big for the clown fish? :erm:

:thanks::bow:

• SRC Member

i hv kept a few commom clown in my 2 ft.

yes they do eat small food.

i feed them with Nutrafin slow skinking morsels. i even crushes the food into smaller bites before feeding them.

now they are big so no need to crushe the food now

post-6-1087344515.jpg

cycled for 4 days ?? is that possible ?? :blink:

how big is ur tank and u use a lot of cure live rock to cycle ??

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member
cycled for 4 days ?? is that possible ?? :blink:

how big is ur tank and u use a lot of cure live rock to cycle ??

You guys please read his first post carefully. He wrote his has kept the crown fish for 4 days NOT his tank is cycled for 4 days. <_<

• SRC Member

You guys please read his first post carefully. He wrote his has kept the crown fish for 4 days NOT his tank is cycled for 4 days. <_<

YUP... the clown is in the tank for 4 days....

:)

:off: whats the diff between brine and mysis shrimp? I thought the mysis shrimp is better.... but both seems to be the same size to me....

:whistle

• SRC Member

Yeah read carefully !! IMO the newly cycled tank - the environment maybe too "new" for the baby clown, perhaps it needs a companion?

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread