Recent fire case reported

aStRoBo|

• SRC Member

recent case of house having caught fire.. reefers here worry abt house catching fire..? seriously im worried once i see all my plugs.. mum started kpkb already.. :nc: how to reduce the risk? use multi-plugs connected to one socket? all each equipment one socket?

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

make sure that everything is grounded or double insulated for two pin plugs.

never overload one socket. total ampere running into one socket should be 13A.

make sure insulation to all wires are intact.

make sure electrical handling area is bone dry.

try to get PSB approved equipment/plugs.

don't put any newspaper around equipment that gets hot.

don't handle electrical equipment with your wet fingers obviously. (=

• SRC Member
make sure that everything is grounded or double insulated for two pin plugs.

never overload one socket. total ampere running into one socket should be 13A.

make sure insulation to all wires are intact.

make sure electrical handling area is bone dry.

try to get PSB approved equipment/plugs.

don't put any newspaper around equipment that gets hot.

don't handle electrical equipment with your wet fingers obviously. (=

Er... how do u exactly "double-insulated" a two-pin plug... sorry hor... sotong when it comes to such things...

I also heard of people installing circuit breakers and stuff like this.... is it good?

I get nightmares when I think about it or whenI look at my wiring and sockets....many reefers ae doing it as well :erm:

I have considered fixing more wall power points...but was told it wont make mush of a diff as the wire running to that point is still the same. Over loading it will still cause the same problem.

Hope to hear out some advice from guys here...how should I make it more safe without spending a bomb!!!

• SRC Member

the most important rule-- NEVER BUY AND USE THOSE CHEAP AND NON APPROVED PLUGS, EXTENSIONS ETC..... I SAW IT MELT IN FRONT OF MY OWN EYES ONCE... LUCKILY I WAS THERE.ESPECIALLY THOSE OF YOU USING CHILLERS.CHECK THE AMPERE.. DONT OVERLOAD!!!

• SRC Member

Recently, there was a news circulating about a chiller caught fire - the brand is arctica chiller.

And I also bought a pump recently (2 months back) for my cal reactor - and I got a shock when I saw the pump melted at the back. The brand is haliea. I am quite disappointed - thought I have a good bargain. I have changed back to eheim since.

I agree about those ungrounded pins that should be grounded properly but sometimes it is the electrical within the device that we are using that we have no clue. And there is nothing much you can do.

Not to mentioned brand like artica has been in the industry for some time now - hope that it is an isolated cases.

The best is still to have a good insurance coverage.

Who knows !! You might see NTUC insurance and AIA insurance at the top corner of the sgreefclub webpage in the future :D

The part about the HDB Fire Insurance not being comprehensive is true. Basically what HDB Fire Insurance covers is as follows:

Q: What are the items covered under the HDB Fire Insurance?

Under the scheme, you are covered against the cost of reinstating the damaged internal areas of the flat as built by HDB when damage is caused by insured perils. This includes : building structure comprising of floor slabs, internal partitions, ceiling and doors; windows and ventilation opening; water, gas and internal sanitary fittings, electrical wiring and any other item which is provided by HDB as a standard item in the flat.

http://www.aig.com.sg/personal/personal_hdbfire_faq.html

Meaning to say, the condition which you received the flat from HDB, will be the extent it covers till. Additional improvements like your renovation and contents will not be covered.

I know this cos I'm from the insurance trade myself (from AIA) and in fact have been selling quite a number of home insurance contents protection policies.

Still, the insurance is meant to be financially protect your household from the perils of fire. Adequate prevention is still important! :)