Juv Regal Angel

From many thread that i read, i can say regal is safe for reef tank, but you must have may be 5 feet tank min, this just a precaution if the regal make a little bite, but it will not kill all of the coral, and because the tank is big enough then the bite area will recover soon.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, i'm not surprise this happen with your grey belly species, but dead for just a week since you bought this fish, this isn't normal, i think your water parameter is not good enough to support delicate and sensitive fish. You must wait few months later to mature your tank before you tempt to keep sensitive fish again, or else you may find a failure again.

• SRC Member

Thanks for the useful information.

How to you tell if the are yellow or grey belly? By the way, does your Regal angel have a spot on the dosal fin when you first bought it?

pw67571regal_angel.jpg

SAN33.jpg

Is it reef safe? As in does it nip on SPS and LPS?

Eric

• SRC Member

hi neokn... sad to hear that your regal has passed away... i think it is important that you do not skip the very 1st step to quaratine the new fish in a separated container so as to let it has time to recuperate itself as well as tempting it to eat before of letting it go. Prior to that.. please check your water parameters esp NO3 although it is not that toxic compare to NO2 but too high a level will put more stress to your delicate fishes so please make sure the water parameters are ok before the attempt to try to keep some of this delicate fishes. As for regal ... most of the regal will stay away from SPS and LPS as this coral are not its primary food but if you have clams.. sponges.. all kinds of brain corals... then most likely your regal will start to pecking on it 1st, again... we can't be sure that regal is reef safe but among all the other large angel fish .... i could say that regal is the safest to keep in a reef tank. My regal from red sea has been with me for a year or more and it has not peck any of my sps and lps and so far it has not touch any of my corals it just feed on the food i prepare for him. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

my existing regal from red sea... not a good view thou will try to post more pic of it, specimen from red sea has more orange as compare to those from madive which is more yellowish.

post-54-1088486085.jpg

From many thread that i read, i can say regal is safe for reef tank, but you must have may be 5 feet tank min, this just a precaution if the regal make a little bite, but it will not kill all of the coral, and because the tank is big enough then the bite area will recover soon.

all the angels I had did not nip at any of my coral at all... so to me angels are reefsafe.

• SRC Member

well.. it really depends on what kind of corals you keep... so far my regal didn't even touch all my elegant coral or sps coral... including my soft corals. So again you have to do some research on the fish you going to keep as well as the corals u intend to have... and we will never be 100% safe to assume reef fishes are safe. For example... i have a blue tang and it is suppose to be reef safe but it has eaten all my open brain.... so it really depends on each individual fishes... <_< so.. do research on the fishes you intend to keep and varify it yrself..... :lol:

• SRC Member
hi neokn... just for your interest and information.. this is my regal from red sea...

That's nice. Thanks for sharing the picture. I'll make sure my wife don't see this picture. <_<<_<

Otherwise...... :angry::angry::angry:

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member

hi neokn... remember to look at the belly part when you want to purchase the regal... and remember to look for yellow belly kind rather then the grey belly cos it is more beautiful... unless u r looking for specimen from red sea which will cost you more but i think it is worth it... hope you have success on your next regal... take care...

• SRC Member
hi neokn... remember to look at the belly part when you want to purchase the regal... and remember to look for yellow belly kind rather then the grey belly cos it is more beautiful... unless u r looking for specimen from red sea which will cost you more but i think it is worth it... hope you have success on your next regal... take care...

Will do. Let me get my water parameter right first.

Thanks for the advice.

• SRC Member

Wow! dat would contribute to the success of your next Regal... :)

Still need my tank to settle down more first before I will introduce more LS to it.

My current LS

1 Unicorn tank

1 Coral Beauty

1 3 strip damsel

1 2 strip damsel

1 4 strip damsel

1 blue velvet damsel

1 black sailfin benny

1 yellow watchman goby

1 batfish (1 week old)

1 Eibli Angel (1 week old)

2 CS

1 coral band shrimp

2 anemone shrimp

1 normal hermit

1 dwarf hermit

2 turbo snail

6 bubble bee snail

• SRC Member

Might decide to DIY a "leng" and drop it with bait into the water to trap fish that enters the "leng" to makan the bait. Otherwise, it is very difficult to catch them as you know damsel are damn fast swimmer.

Might decide to DIY a "leng" and drop it with bait into the water to trap fish that enters the "leng" to makan the bait. Otherwise, it is very difficult to catch them as you know damsel are damn fast swimmer.

I tink i prefer to standby with a net above the water surface during feeding, den quickly scoop it up when the damsels come eating.... :lol:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg