Planted Tanks

junyong84

• SRC Member

Hey guys, anyone of u keep planted tanks at hme?

got any pics or websites to share regarding planted tanks.

I m kinda impressed by some planted tanks i saw at some eatery tat i m interested to know more abt it...

btw, which LFS in sg deal soley on planted tanks.

thanks... ;)

• SRC Member

Yup my planted tank is bigger than my reef tank... 100gals I think...

I started by reading a forum too, Aquarealms.com I think... but stopped going there liao... tank's been with me for 4-5 years already and still going strong...

As for LFSes... stopped shopping for FW stuff liao... but back then I used to go to Clementi 328 for equipment/fish sometimes to the Pasir Ris (before they moved) for bulk purchases of plants, Serangoon North area for misc stuff in small quantities...

• SRC Member

There's an LFS opp. Thomson medical centre that has several show tanks for ideas - sorry can't remember the name. Still have a planted tank (Juwel Rio 125) but thinking of converting to a FOWLR by end of year...

• SRC Member
Hey guys, anyone of u keep planted tanks at hme?

got any pics or websites to share regarding planted tanks.

I m kinda impressed by some planted tanks i saw at some eatery tat i m interested to know more abt it...

btw, which LFS in sg deal soley on planted tanks.

thanks... ;)

there's one at lavender. er.. dunnoe how to tell u, always walk pass when on my way to rebor* and P.....R.....

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member
There's an LFS opp. Thomson medical centre that has several show tanks for ideas - sorry can't remember the name. Still have a planted tank (Juwel Rio 125) but thinking of converting to a FOWLR by end of year...

That's Nature Aquarium. More into zen type of aquascaping. Got alot of my planted stuff from them. Competitive prices too.

• SRC Member

Buy plants and add to tank. Just like marine u need a little research 1st. Essentially substrate shld be about 4-6 inches in the following pattern:

0.5-1" - base sand (about 1-2 mm grain size)

1"-2" - fertiliser sand (sorry forot the actual term - but soil rich in iron and other trace elemnts)

2-4" - sand again (1-2mm grain size)

Add liquid fertiliser once a week or use tablet/pellet form every few mths.

When u get plants, depending on type there are various means of plating...rhizomes for eg should be above the soil/on piece of wood, bulbs just covered in soil and rooted plants in soil, etc.

Just like corals plants need varying degrees of light (daylight 65,000 k lights will do), from low (eg Java ferns) to high (eg most red-leaf plants). Also will fare better with CO2 injection.

There are quite a few books on this subject in the marketplace.

If u want some fast growing starter plants and u live near CCK, pm me and I can pass u some cuttings.

Hope this helps a little...

Cheers!

• SRC Member

This is my 6g planted tank,

5f0ed7b7.jpg

my tank after re-aquascaping n changed to black sand

90408309.jpg

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member

I use a soil substrate topped off with normal gravel... along with not too intense light, no ferts, no co2, few water changes...

Did much research back then with regards to this and it has been working wonderfully for me for years... but this method will NOT allow you to grow "zen tanks" it'll allow you to grow tanks that look like the amazon forest... so riccia, hair grass, and bubbling plants are a no no...