What to feed purple queen anthias?

gtrigger

• 6 months later...
  • SRC Member

Anyone knows where to buy the wild harvest zooplankton? My purple queens are getting thinner and thinner each day.

I feed them 5 times a day with total of 5-6 cube of frozen mysis shrimp and freeze-dried cyclopee but they seems to swim around the food and not really eating much.

BTW, is zooplankton the same as phytoplankton?

IMO one should read up on PQ first before trying them.... They IMo will nv feed on brine/ mysis shrimp or maybe take a very very logn time to start feeding on them(by that time , up lorry liao) no choice sicne you all buy lia, getwild harvest zoo from EAn loh den try to wean them.. If not can tell them bye bye liao

william you are right.

in my experience, they thrive on small size food. cyclopeeze was my main food for them, along with a wide range of hikari frozen stuff.

heavy feeding is not an option. but a must.

before i switched over to bartletts, i netted as many as i could, those that couldn't net out were subject to weeks of low feeding. slowly one by one fell out.

but till now, still have one lonely purple sole who survived the me-induced holocaust and mingling with the bartletts :lol:

post-7-1104991537.jpg

hehehe...

some people call me Mr Ang :P

anyway, this group shot was taken about a year ago.... :lol:

purples queens, yeah..u need alot of them to make themselves feel at home....

my frens asked me how i could make them come out whereas their purple queens keep hiding and are very meek.

purple queens motto: unity is strength :lol:

post-7-1104992570.jpg

Actually yours is not the true PQ.. its pseudanthias pascalus aka purple anthias... real one has yellow throat and is call pseudanthias tuka.. anyway both also diff to keep

dispar, u mixed up issit...

pascalus is purple queen

tuka is purple anthias

but yeah...both are quite similar in colour

yeah, mine probably are tukas....but maybe got some pascalus mingle inside also :)

anyway...here is the comparison

Purple Queen anthias female (pascalus)

http://www.reefimages.com/cgi-reefimages/p...as&slide=18.jpg

Purple anthias female (tuka)

http://www.reefimages.com/cgi-reefimages/p...as&slide=33.jpg

:)

the males are very similar also

Purple Queen anthias male (pascalus)

http://www.reefimages.com/cgi-reefimages/p...as&slide=19.jpg

Purple anthias male (tuka)

http://www.reefimages.com/cgi-reefimages/p...as&slide=34.jpg

anyway...here is the comparison

Purple Queen anthias female (pascalus)

http://www.reefimages.com/cgi-reefimages/p...as&slide=18.jpg

Purple anthias female (tuka)

http://www.reefimages.com/cgi-reefimages/p...as&slide=33.jpg

i thought all this with yellow stripes are juv... they are female??? weird that means very very tiny one with yellow stripes already consider female ah

all along whether tukas or pascalus...

those with yellow bands are females....total purple colours are males...

just that in a schooling pack when the males are missing, some of the females with yellow bands will lose the bands slowly to evolve to males to assume the place in the hierarchy

yeah, those even tiny ones you see in lfs but with yellow bands, they are females....but if u keep them in a school for some time, u will notice some in the school will lose the yellow band to assume male roles in the school

• SRC Member

Roidan,

2 questions for you:

1. I realize that freeze-dried cyclopee is very tiny. So tiny that I don't really know how much I put or whether i put enough. How much cyclopee do you dump in and is it for 5 times a day?

2. Do you feel that Barlett is better than purple queen? With the Quple beckett, will you go back to purple queen?

Thanks,

Patrick

all along whether tukas or pascalus...

those with yellow bands are females....total purple colours are males...

just that in a schooling pack when the males are missing, some of the females with yellow bands will lose the bands slowly to evolve to males to assume the place in the hierarchy

yeah, those even tiny ones you see in lfs but with yellow bands, they are females....but if u keep them in a school for some time, u will notice some in the school will lose the yellow band to assume male roles in the school

wah anthias pro... :bow::bow:

patrick:

dump as much as u know that your anthias can finish them in a few minutes...

less amount, more often is better than more amount, less often.

bartletts have more character and are more fuss-free....i dun even feed cyclopeeze now...just throw in pellets and my bartletts share with my tangs....getting lazier :paiseh::lol: even my sunburst and the lonely purple one are eating pellets...

I give them no choice :evil:

happy with my bartletts and i dun think i want to start back on purples again...one whole body of purple can be quite boring as time passes...at least bartletts are a palette of colours all on one body :)

dispar: no lah..u are still the resident walking marine encyclopedia :bow::)

patrick:

dump as much as u know that your anthias can finish them in a few minutes...

less amount, more often is better than more amount, less often.

bartletts have more character and are more fuss-free....i dun even feed cyclopeeze now...just throw in pellets and my bartletts share with my tangs....getting lazier :paiseh::lol: even my sunburst and the lonely purple one are eating pellets...

I give them no choice :evil:

happy with my bartletts and i dun think i want to start back on purples again...one whole body of purple can be quite boring as time passes...at least bartletts are a palette of colours all on one body :)

dispar: no lah..u are still the resident walking marine encyclopedia :bow::)

yah loh but barlett for ppl who got$$$ :lol::lol::lol: probably myself will get a school of sunset anthias.... nice and cheaper(well not much also).. but dunno leh barlett sometime abit fierce with other anthias

dun say other anthias...they also squabble amongst themselves.

that's why i say got character...unlike the blur blur purple queens/anthias who school like dead fishes...or rather whole day act stone stone just hovering in their groups in the water column....lol

sunset also nice lah....best is have sunburst and sunsets......hehe

• SRC Member

I now have one pair of lyretail, 3 dispar and 3 purple queen. My male lyretail is the biggest and is the big bully and chase everyone. Can the barlett survive in this kind of environment?

DA is right. Barlett is for people who got $$$. hehehe. Imagine one cost about $35, so 10 pieces already $350 liao....how to get one school?

I now have one pair of lyretail, 3 dispar and 3 purple queen. My male lyretail is the biggest and is the big bully and chase everyone. Can the barlett survive in this kind of environment?

DA is right. Barlett is for people who got $$$. hehehe. Imagine one cost about $35, so 10 pieces already $350 liao....how to get one school?

Of course.. barlett aren't nice guy either.... males are known to be very aggressive in some cases....

i still prefer my peaceful sunset anthias