Hermit-Crabs Only Tank

• SRC Member

First topic to seek advice :)

I have been reading up some marine websites, esp. liveaquaria.com

I took special interest in inverts, esp. crabs.

I happened to come across some really cute hermit crabs - Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crabs recently in Marine Life. They are very small, cute.

I start to wonder if I can have a small 1ft tank just to house a few of these hermit crabs (no fishes).

What would be your advices for ??

1) Is such a setup possible or recommendable?

2) Is NH3/NH4 and NO2 level important to crabs? I read on liveaquaria but they only mention high level of Nitrate NO3 is harmful to them. Does that mean certain small amount of NH3/NH4 and NO2 will not harm them?

3) Anyone knows whether they can feed on turtle weed? I think it is one of the most common live algae I have been seeing so far.

4) If turtle weed is a good source of food for those hermit crabs, then is there anything I need to look out for when keeping such weed in the tank?

Thanks all :D Hope I dont frighten anyone with such long question. Thanks again :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

those dwarf zebra hermits are scavengers, they eat left over food by fish.

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member

As for me my crabs eat left over food from the fish, like pellets , mysis shrimps...., about algae i dont know, i bought it from ML too.

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member

Any friend can help with my 2nd question?

2) Is NH3/NH4 and NO2 level important to crabs? I read on liveaquaria but they only mention high level of Nitrate NO3 is harmful to them. Does that mean certain small amount of NH3/NH4 and NO2 will not harm them?

• SRC Member

Hermits are herbivores although they are known to scavenge. The assorted hermits in my tank are primarily herbivores. Their diet consists mainly of filamentous algae.

Small amounts of NH3/NH4 and NO2 should be fine. Just do regular water changes (which won't be difficult for a nano tank) for peace of mind.

After keeping zebra hermits for some time, I shall share my own observations with regards to this species. Zebra hermits when small will tend to be more excited when they encounter the scent of meaty foods. They will eagerly rush out to look for pellets, mysis, etc. As they mature into adults, they tend to stay on your rocks more and pick at algae more. At this stage to me they seem not to be that excited over meaty foods anymore. Probably because they do not need so much protein since their growth rates have practically slowed to a crawl. You MUST provide them adequate shells as they grow if not they will fight over shells resulting in deaths. I do not recommend mixing different species of hermits together. Adult zebra hermits IMO are totally harmless to fish as they had not ambushed any of my small fishes before in my old 4 footer. If your fish is dying it's a different story altogether..

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/