7ft Tank For Hdb Flat???

Hi,

I have intend to get a 7ft tank. Checked with one LFS, infd by them that they only custom make 6ft tank for HDB flat. 7ft tank is unlikely to be placed in HDB flat. Is it true that HDB flat cannot have a 7ft tank. If that is the case, how to keep large angel fishes??? :huh:

6 FT tank should be alright....anyway....if you intend to stack a lot of LR all over the tank..the water displacement and space for the angels to swim is still limited......I think can consider your actual deco in the tank....a ft more won't make much diff if careful planning is done.....my 2 cents :D

• SRC Member

I believe the main problem with tanks 5ft and above is its transport to a high rise building. There will be problem fitting the tank into a lift or bringing up the stairs....

My two 5 ft tanks already had given my tank maker and the transporter a big headache during the their transport 7 floors up....

Hi,

I have intend to get a 7ft tank. Checked with one LFS, infd by them that they only custom make 6ft tank for HDB flat. 7ft tank is unlikely to be placed in HDB flat. Is it true that HDB flat cannot have a 7ft tank. If that is the case, how to keep large angel fishes??? :huh:

Wonder if weight is the problem on the HDB floor?

Most probably because a 7ft would have to be carried up via the stairs. :rolleyes:

definitely a NO. maybe u can sneak it and set it up, but hdb allows only up to 6ft in length tank in residential units... sad to say they have limitations in dead load capacities, but y not try keeping two 4ft tank then? just make sure they r in different locations though or it wont be too different from keeping an oversized tank

did a unit before, and hdb emphasizes their maximum limit is 6ft tank for residentials, other than that, if u really insist, u have to get a certified engineer to do the dead load calculations as compared to the unit capacity. and doing so doesnt guarantee that u'll get approved easily.

Why not you get them to decrease the height of your tank by a little? Can definitely lessen the weightload. And your angels will still have the length of the tank to swim. 7feet(length)X 2 feet(width) X 18inch(height)? :eyebrow:

LoLx...

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

There is a rule stated by HDB with regards to tank size. Please refer to below website:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/ISOA040p.nsf/0/fde4f...a5?OpenDocument

You can do a 7 feet but very troublesome... must apply permit from HDB

It says:

"The maximum weight of the total number of fish tanks (inclusive of water, sand and accessories) supported on a four-legged rack or cabinet must not exceed 600 kg per room."

HOW THEY MEASURE.... I REALLY WONDER MAN?!!!!?!?! :huh:

This is all thanks to the stoopid Luo Han craze lah when everyone starts putting a tank in their HDB flat... :angry: HDB scared too many people have too many fish tanks and the whole flat collapse lah...

BTW, I not from HDB :P

• SRC Member

Hey...wonder if this helps...

There's a farm selling staghorn live rocks which really weighs a small fraction of the ones usually available in the market. So maybe, it helps in the dead load capacity thing. PM me if you need the contact. :P

The keyword is: supported on a four-legged rack or cabinet

My tank rack is flatbased, sitting on a piece of marine plywood, to spread the weight across the floor and not just on 4 points like most tanks.

My tank is also placed directly against a column AND a beam, so there should be no danger unlike a big tank placed in the middle of a room (like a room divider like some of the reefers here do).

You really have to think of all the safety considerations inclusive of load.

Luckily, I stay in a private condo. ;)

• SRC Member

joncver, you lucky bastard...

Slightly out of topic... but I have a friend who is so bird craze he converted one of his HDB room into a walk-in aviary... :lol:

Wonder what HDB would have to say about that?

Maybe they would start a rule like this...

"The maximum weight of the total number of birds (inclusive of bird shit and chickens) must not exceed 600 kg per room. Chickens refer to real fowl and not those you see at Geylang." :lol:

• SRC Member
The keyword is: supported on a four-legged rack or cabinet

My tank rack is flatbased, sitting on a piece of marine plywood, to spread the weight across the floor and not just on 4 points like most tanks.

My tank is also placed directly against a column AND a beam, so there should be no danger unlike a big tank placed in the middle of a room (like a room divider like some of the reefers here do).

You really have to think of all the safety considerations inclusive of load.

Luckily, I stay in a private condo.

hey AT, dun mind showing a picture of what you are trying to say??? i m confused! :yeah:

:thanks:

Thk all for your advice! I think why the LFS owner told me that I can only have 6ft because the tank maker will have problem getting the 7ft tank into my house. He never told me that HDB did not allow 7ft in flat. So do all of you think that I can secretly 'smuggle' the 7ft tank into my flat? ;) I staying at 2nd floor only leh! :evil:

How thick should be the glass for a 6 or 7ft tank? And what type of wood to use for the cabinet?

sure... smuggle in, just supply as all with 1 sps each per month n our lips r sealed :whistle;):D:lol::evil:

seriously, y insist on another foot length? i mean, wont u find it far more economical with a little sacrifice, considering that u dont really know wat

u will get once hdb finds out abt it? and even if i want 2 break the rules, id

rather go for am 8footer (glass standard cut is 8ftx4ft) so in which case u

dont get 2 waste wat u paid for... but hey, im not on ur side w ur idea of smuggling in...

• SRC Member

Unless u can get a crane to hual it up through your window, I doubt u can even transport the 7ft tank up the stairs. Besides no one will want to bare the responsibility of damaging your tank during transport and a 7 footer is no easy task to carry around. Even if the tank maker were to make the tank in your house, he will have a hell of a time bringing the 7ft panels to your place even if it's on the 2nd floor.

U can imagine the stressed and shagged out faces of the people carrying my two 5 feet tanks up the stairs seven storeys up cos they can't fit them into my lift. Very paiseh after that and at the same time during the transport, my heart was palpitating like mad cos I'm extremely worried that the tanks may be damaged or that the men carrying the tank may injure themselves if they were to lose their grip... :shock::paiseh:

Reminds me of the time I was working at an aquarium. Was sent on deliveries with the driver. 4 feet tanks were already darn tiring. Especially those old flats with lifts only on alternate floors..darn irritating! :eyebrow:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/