Lighting Experts Please Help!

FuEl

I have a 4 feetX18inchX18inch normal 4 feet tank. Currently lighting is using 1 40 watt actinic blue fluorescent and 3 40 watt white fluorescents. All using reflectors.

The hood is custom made of acrylic. Using Elibriu(not sure of spelling) electronic ballast (36w-40w). Each ballast can support 2 40 watt fluorescent tubes.

My question is this. I am intending to save up (I am only a student) by scrimping $$ on food,etc :off: and use the $$ to replace my fluorescent tubes with T5. However, I have heard that a 4 feet T5 light is 54 watts. I would like to know if it would be more cost effective to replace my electronic ballasts with those of higher capacity and get the 4 feet T5s or to use 3 feet T5s instead.

As for lighting efficiency, as my tank is only 18 inches wide and 18 inches deep(including sand depth), How many T5s would I need to keep most soft and hard corals? I am not intending to keep sps and clams? I'm too poor to afford those for now.

Any suggestions would be welcome. This forum is addictive! It replaced my obsession with counterstrike..thank goodness. :rolleyes:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Get the 4' T5 tubes. You won't regret after seeing the light output but maybe only after you see the bill.

Four will do nice.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

r u working or schooling?

If schooling go for MH, dad's paying the electricity bill.

haha..

for your 4ft, can get two reasonable priced MH for

ard $400. 4pcs T5 if buy from outside ready made, may

set you back $3-400 too.

I'm only 21 lah..Somemore my tank is not using a chiller.

Water depth only about 15inches. Won't MH like cook everything in the water? :shock:

For T5 i planning to DIY...not buying the ready made ones..those 'chop' people one. Oh well..looks like I will have to change the ballast too.

Who want to reserve my second hand Electronic 36-40watts ballasts? :idea:

:angel:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
r u working or schooling?

If schooling go for MH, dad's paying the electricity bill.

haha..

for your 4ft, can get two reasonable priced MH for

ard $400. 4pcs T5 if buy from outside ready made, may

set you back $3-400 too.

Really har? :heh: Two reasonable priced MH for

ard $400. :idea: Recommend me leh. ;) Not so good at this. :paiseh:

Bevor Sie das Licht sehen, müssen Sie sterben!

• SRC Member

take note t5 needs special osram t5 quicktronic ballast . not exactly need. can use ur elbiru . but totally not good for the tube. elbirus are not meant for t5s.

u wanna use 2ft also can. juz put corals in the middle only . with a 12 inch dsb.