Skimmer

• SRC Member

it depends on a few factors..

based on what i could remember, the important ones are

bubble size - the smaller the better as there is more surface area between the bubble and the water to attract proteins and other harmful stuff

contact time - how long the bubbles remain in the chamber, thats y counter-current skimmers are better the co-current skimmer, even though they share the same height. some skimmers are designed such that the bubbles would swirl ard the chamber, increasing contact time.

how high the foam must rise - the higher the foam must rise, the 'dryer' the bubbles, the more black it gets, but not to the extent that the bubbles only break at the 'neck' and collects gunk there.

hth

• SRC Member

Pardon me for asking a newbie question.

But does that mean venturi skimmers generally work better then those using wooden airstones in a 3 or 4ft tank?

Since contact time is an important issue, how will a DIY using wooden airstone that is 2-3ft in height compare with a venturi skimmer that is lower in height?

• SRC Member

for me, i would certaintly prefer spending more for a venturi... im having a 3ft... used to be running on an air stone one.. collecting errr 'urine' as oceanics said... i've since upgraded to a weipro 2014 that is collecting dark green tea.. almost brown actually.. so i think it's safe to say that venturi driven skimmers work much better then air driven ones... :)

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member

But it also see if your tank are dirty like mine would be filled with yellow stain if its real dirty and it also depends on how fast your bubble flow is clean bubbles should burst before going up to the collection cup..

and also depends on your air stone quality also..

use a good one.. i am using sanders air stone..

if the tank not dirty its difficult for air driven skimmer to skim..

thats a disadvantage of it..

• SRC Member

weipro can be hang-on the tank or place in/out of the sump. i just got myself 2013 + weipro pump (2500l/hr) this afternoon. quite impress by its performance. i got a Remora Pro for my 3 ft and this 2013 is for my 2ft. although weipro cannot compare with Remora, but its really value for $$. 2013 selling at $78 and the pump is only $38 :)

• SRC Member
weipro can be hang-on the tank or place in/out of the sump. i just got myself 2013 + weipro pump (2500l/hr) this afternoon. quite impress by its performance. i got a Remora Pro for my 3 ft and this 2013 is for my 2ft. although weipro cannot compare with Remora, but its really value for $$. 2013 selling at $78 and the pump is only $38 :)

care to show the skimmate?