Bannerfish in SPS tank???

Saw this pic in RC.....very much wanted to keep a school of bannerfish. I noticed quite a lot of pple overseas keep bannerfish in their reef tank. I know they may nip at corals, esp the meaty ones.....

Anyone has any experience with these???

added some info:

General Husbandry:

1) Require a temperature of 25 - 28°C

2) natural diet consists mainly of plankton and crustaceans. Easily maintained in the aquarium and will accept a wide variety of foodstuffs, including fortified brine shrimp, mysis, and chopped fish and shrimp flesh. Frozen herbivore food should also be offered. Require two or three feedings per day.

3) Will do well with other different members of its family, and is very hardy.

4) Not reef safe.

5) Best if all are added at one time, and about 20 gallons per individual is required to provide the necessary territorial space to keep them happy. .

post-22-1091892748.jpg

• SRC Member

DB, this is wat i would do.

1. Quarantine the bannerfish in a Q-tank and get them to feed on (eg, mysis, bs, pellets......etc). If they r feedin oreadi, lagi better.

2. Place in a couple of corals tat r known to be nipped by bannerfish and monitor.

3. Feed them at least twice a day and hopefully they stay full to leave ur coral alone.

4. If well fed and still nip on corals then its up to u to determine their fate.

5. Else if too lazy then juz make sure they r feedin first before intro into main tank, feed them "pa pa" everyday and pray tat they leave ur reef alone :evil:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

I will probably try them when I am closing my tank at the end of the year in this case.... :lol::lol:

I do agree....it is a risk that I would hate to take at this moment....

That's the pic that brought me the idea of keeping bannerfish(look at my sig.).

Basically, I think its a risk you have to take just like keeping angels. Its based on you husbandry and feeding frequency IMO :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif