Cheap 250W DE DIY clip on

Cookiemunster

• SRC Member

Hi reefers,

just wanted to share my new clip on DIY for 250W DE. Last year I posted my DIY 150W clip on but since then I felt it just wasn't bright enough for my clams and I needed a angular light source which can shine in the same direction where I am viewing my tank and not just from top down.

The problem with top down lighting is it creates shadows. And because of limited tank space, I like to place corals such as clams or sps in such recesses or below cliffs too. Hence I find angular lighting much better as it tends to colour up the sps on the side where you view it instead of from the top. Clams can then be positioned also to face the viewing side of the glass and yet not have a reduced exposure to sufficient light.

Alright back to the topic.

I managed to find a 1000W Halogen casing which was weatherproof and extremely compact. It only occupies a space of about 7 inches by 10 inches. And was very light yet made of strong toughened aluminium. It also comes with a 6mm thick front glass which is sufficient to block UV rays amd a pimple reflector.

I made a simple modification, cut the reflector, used a 2inch by 8 inch aluminium piece to support the FC2 legs of the 250W DE and viola done.

Best of all this fixture only costs $22. I could not believe it! I originally wanted to fabricate my own fixture but what the hell!!!!

Hence my price breakdown:

1) 1000W Halogen casing $22

2) FC2 legs $28

3) Electronic ballast 250W $120

4) 250W 14000k DE phoenix bulb $90

5) Old PC power cord $FOC

Total: $260

For just $260 I built a brand new 250W DE using eballast which weighs only 200g compared to a 4kg 250W magnetic ballast. Less heat and no humming noise. I placed the eballast on the floor as a separate unit. Its totally sealed and very safe.

Here are the photos.

Weisoon, hope this helps in your choice of lighting. ;)

post-9-1092238450.jpg

cool DIY!!! humm... maybe i should do one like u ...

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

I now use this as a strong supplement for my SPS concentrated cliff and my 19 clams below the cliff on various positions. No more shadows and fully maximised reef shelving.

By the way I am not selling this and neither am I helping people to DIY it. I just wanted to share how it can be done. The 1000W halogen casing can be found at most lighting shops.

Great job bro, clean, compact and affordable. ;-)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• 5 months later...
  • SRC Member

Hi guys,

thanks for the interest. Sorry for the late reply as I have been overseas.

Most of my parts I bought from the lighting shop along Jalan besar facing the thieves market (pasar malam). Its the row of light shops. rightmost biggest and oldest looking shop.

The eballast and bulb can buy from Victron....website is www.viclite.com

Cheers