Lowering The Noise Level On Dv Fans

huskiesg

• SRC Member

I just bought a set of cooling fans (those 4 in a row type). Started it on my tank and the noise level is abit high but as it's my tank, thus tolerable to me :eyebrow: But my mum started complaining after coming back. Is there any way to lower the noise level (besides getting a chiller which is very tempting :evil: )? Any suggestion or advice? Thank you in advance

Life is a Cruel Teacher. It punishes you first and then gives you the lesson

• SRC Member
When it is new it will be noisy... mine also like that... after a while u will get use to it and u will find it softer....

May fan also need to season ba.... hehe

Thanks bro ;) Just hope it happens sooner than later.. My mum's nagging is getting to be noisier than the fans :P By the way, how low does yout tank temperature drop to after using the fans?

• SRC Member

HAhAha thanks for the alternative solutions :lol: Just top up water this morning before leaving for work. And it is alot of water to be top up! Happy saturday morning to you guys :D

Those from QH are known to be noisy, if you're thinking of dismantling it to looksee, be warned that you'll have trouble re-assembling it.

Only solution is to replace it; there has been suggestion to use brushless fan which should be available in Sim Lim tower.

You can try the commercial Toyogo clip-ons, but I think they don't last very long.

Temperature fluctuations are not well tolerated by delicate corals so do keep that in mind.

• SRC Member
Those from QH are known to be noisy, if you're thinking of dismantling it to looksee, be warned that you'll have trouble re-assembling it.

Only solution is to replace it; there has been suggestion to use brushless fan which should be available in Sim Lim tower.

You can try the commercial Toyogo clip-ons, but I think they don't last very long.

Temperature fluctuations are not well tolerated by delicate corals so do keep that in mind.

Brushless fan? Any description of it.. My tank is a FOWLR thus not much problem. I just bought the fans so "die die" have to hang on to it and use. :( The noise level is more and more audible now. Now have to take both mum and fan's noise pollution..

• SRC Member
Before i put FAn.. the temp is around 29...

After the first time i put Fan .. it drop til lowest 25.7 but now.... it went back to aroudn 26 or 27 the most....

WOW! what fan are you using? Where do you place your tank to achieve that low temperature? The lowest temp I got is 28 degrees..

• SRC Member
see if its is possible to grease the moving parts?

Was considering greasing them but as the fans are directly over the water surface.. a danger of the lubricant dripping into the water.. and causing OIL SPILL !! :nuke: hee ... But will give it a try :D

• SRC Member
:angel:

Hi, maybe u can try making a box cover and open abt 2holes behind and 2 holes at the top of the box. Reason to have the holes is to have ventilation. It may help to reduce some noise.

charlie

Hee .. a DIY project? :whistle That's the reason why I bought a off the shelf fans rather than buying a cheaper one from SLT.. because I am a DIY nut <_<

Hmm Will keep this in my mind.. I am going to give the fans some time to season itself before deciding on what to do .. :)