madmac's Reef

madmac

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

hi there madmac,

beautiful regal there! i love angels, especially the koran and cortez, but the koran that i tried keeping once kept picking on my xenia that i had to pass it on to a friend.

i think a thriving sps tank like yours makes a great habitat for angels, because even if they do pick on the sps, the corals should be able to withstand a little grazing, seeing as sps tend to grow so quickly in such tanks.

your barebottom tank looks great too. it looks so much cleaner and brighter than your earlier sandbed photos. honestly, even though i believe in DSBs, looking at your posts and others whove gone BB makes me think about having such a system. i mean, the dirty colours about one inch down my sandbed look so bad aesthetically, but for my gonios i think the bacterial activity and diatoms are necessary so maybe in the future when i'm employed and have more money i can have another BB system.

i also read your explanation about how the sandbed's decomposition and bacterial activity causes more variations in ph and i think thats really so logical. i guess in the end each system has different pressures and needs so we must adapt to them.

last note. your monti caps look really nice too!

cheers

ian

• SRC Member

Wow, nice to see her again... you bring a tear to my eyes, ... and make me wish I didn't let her go. The new Jake is not as playful as she is... he still lack a few tricks. :) thx, you're doing great.! Nice tank BTW, is there is tank thread or a full shot.?

best

• SRC Member

Hi, I don't think it'll do any damage to ur corals... its the acclimatization of your regal that cud post an issue at the start. They tend to be very shy and can be intimidated into hiding and subsequently lose appetite to eat...

If you can help, jus spend some time observing for the first few days.. you'll need to see which fish bullies when the regal tries to take to the open waters, choose a small one that feeds is your safest bet and yes no injuries... not a single dot, mark, fin fraying. best to you, bro.

Thanks Bro,

I will try to pick one this weekend.

:thanks:

• SRC Member

And of course one on Jake, who is kinda brash but dumb... he refuses to take food from the water column except from my fingers... I can't figure that one out... makes me wonder if their female equivalent are the smarter counterpart. : )

post-34-1123511921.jpg

Edited by madmac

Nice colour :o

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
Wow, nice to see her again... you bring a tear to my eyes, ... and make me wish I didn't let her go. The new Jake is not as playful as she is... he still lack a few tricks. :) thx, you're doing great.! Nice tank BTW, is there is tank thread or a full shot.?

best

Rest assured that she's in good hands. Feel free, if you like to visit her. My tank is too modest to have a thread or a full picture shot.

• SRC Member
wow, cute baby, nice acro and a beautiful regal, what's more do you want!

You have done yourself proud man, congrats! :P

Truely agree with marineman. cute baby, ( 4 children, I've got only 3), nice regal, (luckily, I've got Jessie, thanks to you) and a beautiful tank ( which I don't have).

"when I grow up, I want to be like you."

• SRC Member

thx guys. Alpha, zoos are definitely a no, I've seen them attack PPE, (people eaters) and eat star-ployps and sometimes nip even on snails. I've heard that they nip onto the calm mantels too. If there any general rule on angels, i think one must be.... don't-keep-them-hungry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

little Albert, telling me he's finding the tank too small... think I've caught him out of place more than 10 times. Got him a little bigger than 1" now he measures about 2.5-3 inch base... wonder how big he can get too...

He's a good one... why do I like him.... he can ballerina on toes as he maneuvers over tight spots, when he grazers, he mows the area, on high speed. I may need a find a bigger home for him, soon, ....tank is small, imagine 150l or 42G.

Hang in there, buddy... it won't be very long.

post-34-1124720381.jpg

• SRC Member

Funny, that you said that, every-time I return him back, there would be this uncontrollable spawn by him... :rolleyes: boy its alot, must find a way for him to do it elsewhere... any ideas?

• SRC Member

thats so cruel... away, shooez, shoooz... how is it done anyway? not sure if it benefited the tank or worsen. I sometimes think, it should be food for the SPS, then what if they don't eat, it only turns into more nutrients. yucks who eats snail spawn anyway :pinch: ... maybe the ******** do. :ph34r: