madmac's Reef

madmac

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Simon, maybe your rocks more dirty so that's why taking longer time to shed.

Stronger proper flow, better skimmer + regular siphoning will fix those detritus.

What i did was, every few days, use tunze to blow at rocks (as if target flow, using hand) den all detritus will fly all over the place , den when it settles (sand etc etc) den I'll siphon it out..... but very "mafun" leh... dunno when this will stop... if it keep shredding, I die c**k standing....lol

What i did was, every few days, use tunze to blow at rocks (as if target flow, using hand) den all detritus will fly all over the place , den when it settles (sand etc etc) den I'll siphon it out..... but very "mafun" leh... dunno when this will stop... if it keep shredding, I die c**k standing....lol

Bro, put another 4 tunzes to bombard your rocks lah... :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Hey, thats what I do except I just syphon every 12 hrs... no blowin the rocks tho, no choice the snail poo very heavy, hard to go up and over to the overflow...

In fact, with the flow setup now... I am noticing a lot of poo jus settling on the rocks instead of the bottom glass... later... it'll back to the 'drawing' board.

• SRC Member
:thanks: Surprsing without any scraping or cleaning..I can only attribute it to high flow.

wah.! must be super high flow...any indication what the rate/hour is... can share how you do it... I still hv plenty of detritus, they quite challenging to bring to the sump... the snails cannot stop doing their business... think maybe I should reduce their population...

• SRC Member
Neat tank bro.... like the scaping... like very zen... :P

Thx, eagerly lurking around your dream tank thread too.. with your dedication in this hobby, I think it will be fantastic one. All the best to you!.

I had a big hole done in the wall when I moved in 2001... wanted to have a marine tank then... its 4' by 2.5'... I didn't undertake it... so the hole is still there as a reminder to be thankful... I think if I did it then I would be out of this hobby sooner.

• SRC Member
Your hardwork will be rewarded when your SPS shows you nice colors :P

Hi WeiLeong, need to ask you a question... I find most of my SPS turning green, when I'm sure it was wasn't like that... how come, don't know if its the natural colour

Came across this thread and I can't put a finger on how true it is.. If any of you kinda know, I' appreciate thx... NVM, I'll post in the SPS forum later.

Green Acros.

• SRC Member

hi madmac, i am just thinking... i prepare a new set of LR and cook them for months... after that, i remove all my current LR completely + sandbed. and put in the new set of cooked LR with my old tank water. and than put back my sps and lps, will the corals survival the change? or what other way? :)

age.png

• SRC Member

Hi,

if you think the current setup won't be made worse than go ahead with it.. but if the extend of the STN is progressive, why wait... jus have the LRs remove for cooking, remove the SB and use a canister filter temp for ur bio-filtration, some PVC stands to temp hold your SPS/corals up...

I have a amazing pic of a coral that went real bad and upon removal of the SB, it started to recover..

If you need to borrow a canister, I have a few lying around unused... I'm also coking a set of LRs so don't buy a new LRs jus to cook.... I'm sure we can come to something if you want... :)

• SRC Member

the stn not as bad...undercontrol now. i realized that my wild sps have a tendency to stn even though the water parameter is stable. may be there is other reason and one one know also. all my aquaculture are doing good :P

when i set up the present tank, i used used LR and also some of my LR from my earlier 2ft tank. there are many pieces... no matter what the coraline algae will not grow 1/2 of my LR because it always cover with very small hair algae, even though my po4+n03 are undetectable. worst, the macro algae started to grow also :blink:

so, thought that i will take this chance to reset all over again. to get a new LR (a few big pieces to form a nice shape) and cook them (few months) and replace the LR completely :)

age.png

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

an update...

Fishes : I'm down 2 pygmies and 1 was traded off. With great sadness, my golden pygmy of 18 months died, most likely to stress. On hindsight, I was too complacent in returning her back to the main tank... about 6 weeks back, I removed both the goldie and the potteri to a small 2' holding tank... I was trying to see if there were better polyp extensions on the SPS corals with them out. So after 1 week, there were indeed PE on most of the SPS during the day time. I decided to return the poterri as she was the lesser pickee one. The potteri was a lot more agressive in holding its ground too... left her there for 3 weeks or so. When they were both in the holding tank, they got along well and fed well in there too.. returning the golden into the main tank was the mistake... she was attacked with such ferocity I never knew existed... the potteri turned against her and the regal and purple tang esp. I fished her out about 3 hours later and return her back to the 2' tank... I think she lost the will to live after that incident and died 3 days later. :(

I also lost a multi-barred pygmy, which was in the main tank for 3 weeks before the new rock-scape came about, she did well, fed on frozen brine-shimp and never lost weight... then the shift, I left her in the new sump for 1 week and fed her on jus BS, however when I put her into the main tank... I'm not where but it could be a number of reasons... .

• strong flow - she didn't like it,

• not enough crevices, underneath the rocks it was jus hollow, there were hardly any places where she could hide in comfort

• rocks- short of "live-food" unlike the old ones, where she was constantly picking on them

subsequently she started starving and died a week later. There was only the regal in the tank then. I left the purple tang(very agressive feeder) and all the pygmies in the other tank.

I sold the potteri to lori_del.. I hope she's doing well bro.

• SRC Member

:lol: Ok, the pics don't show up because maxonline alters the IP... I thought it would remain the same until I switch off the modem... today it is : cm161.gamma196.maxonline.com.sg/~tempreefpic/... I wonder if it'll change tomorrow...

Thx Travy... I think I will be staying low on fishes for the moment

• 2 months later...