Review Of Aquac Ev120

KingFish

Introductions

I was fortunate to be in consultation with Edmund from eAquaNature on protein skimmers when he was graciously allowed me to test his latest range of skimmer; an AquaC 2002 release of the EV-120. Standing at only 18 inches high, with a 4-inch foam tower and footprint of 4.75 x 8.5 inches; it is remarkably compact for its capacity of up to 560 litres.

My initial observation is that it is very well constructed of high quality cell-cast acrylic and quality fittings. All its edges are smoothened to give it a refined look. The User Manual is pretty comprehensive, describing the types of pumps to use, explaining how these skimmers can either be used in a sump or as a stand-alone unit, and an FAQ. It is also available for download here.

All relevant information to the test tank is available in my tank thread. For the purpose of this test the EV120 was placed outside the sump. Dodo, Bawater and spiff (Thanks guys) were kind enough to lend me an assorted array of pumps ranging from 3200L/hr to 1800L/hr, a slightly overated Eheim 1060 was used with the EV120 to pretty good effects, and is placed in the sump.

The EV120 and its elevated gate valve at 10 inches should allow it to be comfortably set up into any sump without too much hassle of elevating it.

post-14-1061737283.jpg

Setup

As any oily matter in the skimmer body affects the skimmer efficiency, I followed the User Manual’s recommendation to give the EV a good rinse with warm water.

Setting up the unit was easy as I connect the pump with a short length of hose to the AquaC’s patented spray injector unit for water intake, and another connects the unit's 1 inch outflow gate valve to the sump. Plumbing tape were used to provide additional sealing to the injector unit, the 3/8 inch precision ball valve for air intake and the gate valve. (Thanks to Prof. Morgan)

As an ozone safe skimmer, a John Guest fitting is available at the air intake valve to provide for the use of ozone, I have no access to that, so I gave it a miss. Nonetheless, to complete the setup, a small length of hose is attached to skimmate cup drain and the skimmer is good to go within 15 minutes.

post-14-1061737431.jpg

Adjustments

With the gate valve and air valve completely open, I fired up the pump.

Thick foamy water sprays through the injector into the skimmer steadily as I slowly close the gate valve at half turns until the skimmer’s internal water level reached just below the internal platform of the air-mixing chamber, which incidentally is the recommended level.

As the skimmer body is constructed of dark cell cast acrylic, I flipped my light towards me to cast some light from behind the skimmer while I made my adjustments. Being rather fussy, the adjustments took me little more than 20 minutes before I was satisfied with the size of bubbles and the foam just below the rim at the base of the foam tower.

Within the hour, some slightly brownish foam formed at the base of the collection cup.

post-14-1061737569.jpg

Breaking in and Operations

It took a little less than 3 days before the skimmer is properly broken in, and thick brownish foam found its way into the collection cup. The picture below shows the skimmate at the end of day 3.

post-14-1061737707.jpg

During the break-in period, it is advisable not to make any further adjustments with the gate valve and the air intake as it seemingly decreases the skimmer’s efficiency.

Within the break-in period and its operational status, I experienced changes in foam level every time after feeding. This has been explained in the manual FAQs. The foam will however, steady itself within the hour and resume peak skimming efficiency.

It has also been noted that changes in sump water level also do not affect the skimmer

I took the effort to switch off my fans during the day, as well as sit in on a quiet night to gauge its noise level. Though not as silent as my TUNZE 220/3, the EV120 is comparatively quiet, which frankly, surprises me. It seems the thick cell-cast acrylic and fitting manages to keep most of the noise down.

Here's another view of the skimmate in the collection cup.

post-14-1061737855.jpg

Maintenance

Unlike my other skimmers where the collection cup sometimes get stuck, the EV120 collection cup is fitted with twist-lock flanges to allow for easy removal, without the hassle of screws. The O-ring provides for a more secure fitting to the foam tower.

The gate valve and spray injector can be easily removed to be cleaned, though I do not notice any build up of matter, which may impede the skimmer’s efficiency.

The foam tower cannot be removed from the skimmer’s body, which makes cleaning a little difficult. Nonetheless, it can still be done with our oriental slender hands and some nimble wristwork.

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

The EV-240 also perform the same as reported by Rumour for his EV-120.

The EV-240 is bigger than EV-120 thus I do not have maintenance problem cleaning the foam tower.

I have also attached my calcium reactor effluent drip to the John Guest fitting of the EV-240. This is suppose to help minimize pH fluctuation in the main tank by removing excess CO2.

I am observing my pH to see whether the pH fluctuates as before.

Before this my pH fluctuates from 8.0-8.5 for day & night reading.

After reading my pH fluctuates from 8.0-8.3 for the same time reading.

Will take a few more test samples.

Here is a shot of EV-240 skimmate.

post-14-1063933789.jpg

• SRC Member

At some interval, the foam dies off. Probably because there is nothing to skim. And then it started again. A photoshot when the skimmer is "idling".

post-14-1063933951.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...