hydrometer?

Hi im currently using a cheap hydrometer call aijim i think from china brand ,so asking you all here is this good enough? or i should invest in another 1 ? any brand you guys recommend here if i should change? and what specific gravity you guys recommend for a fish and live rock only tks a lot guys

Go get a refractometer instead

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
Hi im currently using a cheap hydrometer call aijim i think from china brand ,so asking you all here is this good enough? or i should invest in another 1 ? any brand you guys recommend here if i should change? and what specific gravity you guys recommend for a fish and live rock only tks a lot guys

if u talking abt the floating type.. i have been using it since 1yr ago.. and still using.. quite reliable for me

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

"Swing arm" type of hydrometers are rather incurrate.

In my case I use a refractometer to ensure the SG of the saltwater mix is at the correct value & then check the same saltwater mix with my cheapo hydrometer & note the position of the arm for future use. Glad I did this as the position of the arm was way below the "normal" range markings on the hydrometer.

I can now conveniently make saltwater mix with the correct SG with the cheapo hydrometer alone.

Once in a blue moon I will reverify the position of the hydrometer against the refractometer as a precaution.

• SRC Member

Using my swing arm hydrometer for a few months now, quite ok... china brand 'Yinsheng' bought at EAN for 7 bucks. Put in distilled water and it reads 1.000sg, so I think its fairly accurate... but I may be wrong as it might haywire in higher sg readings.... <_<

But as the above mentioned, getting a refractometer is more safe especially if dealing with hard corals or sensitive fishes. My 35cents.... :P

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

• SRC Member

I've been using those swing arm hydrometer since day 1 and find that it's alright. U must keep track of the SG every 2-3 days and top up with fresh water.

Generally, corals, inverts and clams require SG 1.023 - 1.025 while fishes can tolerate SG 1.020 - 1.025.