My Scopas HLLE recovery chronicles

HLLE? I dunno..always thought it was HLLS (Head & Lateral Line Syndrome). Think both also correct. ;) Normally caused by malnutrition and reportedly stray voltage might cause it too. Very common in angelfishes that are'nt fed the right diet.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

In my limited experience, besides keeping the parameters correct, I try to give the right diet. I'll always give the vegies first than the mysis/brine shrimps.

IMPO, I guess the chiller plays a part too. Not that it keeps the tank cool, but the "grounding" it provides. All electrical products will share a common ground. That includes the core of the chiller. Water passes thru the core, and gets "grounded" in the process...

• 1 month later...
05/10/04

The scales are starting to grow back.  Personally, its damn gratifying to see my scopas recover from HLLE.

2 of my angels had it more than a year already. The erosion has stopped. But the scales never grow back. How did you do it?

post-21-1102495196.jpg

• SRC Member

ugly hor :huh: i feed them with pellet food. Thought of returning them to the sea :(

bro u got to feed the angel a lot of different food, try formula 2, it is more of veg and will help the angel.. think those pellets are not doing them good, try to rotate the food, btw wat brand is tat pellet???

GIve up liao!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Crab,

Actually, even for the first picture I posted the scopas was already on its way to recovery. Before that it was much worse... I couldn't post as my hard disk crashed on me then. What you saw was the left over images I'd backup'ed.

I don't really know exactly what I did that helped in the recovery. But below are the areas I worked hard on:

1. Water quality. Needless to say. Constant 30% water changes fortnightly.

2. Food variety. Not only pellets, I give them flakes, cyclops, shrimps and food mix enriched with vitamins and garlic..... anything i can think of.

3. Reduce stress.

Above all, don't give up. There was a period of time I really wanted to return them to the sea... I took it as a challenge and worked on healing the scopas. It results are really satisfying after all that hard work.

Unfortunately, my Koran has the same problem like yours... I'm still taking pictures monthly to monitor for signs of recovery.

Will post more on my Koran when it started to heal.