Low Ph

pH low means your nitrogen cycle has started. I am at the same stage as you are, and i'm thinking of using crushed corals in my sump tank as pH buffer. That'll keep pH around 8.3.

Edit: The crushed coral will be in a net type bag, near water flow, so that I can clean it if necessary. I have DSB in my sump.

Crushed corals do not buffer PH at all! :D This is a myth perpetuated by LFS to sell off their coral chips.

If that is so, you can count on all your liverock and corals to help buffer PH too! ;)

My tank is only a week duration, and is still under cycling period.

and now my PH measurement is 7.1, how to raise it to 8.2, need your opinion.

There are many ways to increase PH...

1. Using Kalkwasser (benefit of dosing calcium too).

2. Using PH buffers.

3. Increasing better oxygen diffusion in your water thru water circulation.

Please investigate more into the above before rushing into them.

Maybe I should've add that I do intend to drip KW in the long run. I have always used crushed corals in my FW tank to maintain pH at 7.0 (I have to do trial and error on the amount needed to maintain pH/ increase alkalinity to more than 8 dKh, if excess corals then pH skyrocket to >8.0). Maybe FW not the same as SW....thanks AT for the heads up :) .

• SRC Member

Some similar observations to share, when I started my tank 3 weeks back, the pH was ard 7.3. Have seen the pH dipped slightly after addition of LRs and subsequently risen over the last 3 weeks... it measures at 7.9 now. So maybe should just sit back, relax, have a cup of tea and enjoy looking at LRs in an empty tank until the nitrogen cycle is complete before thinking about ways to increase the pH.... ??

• SRC Member
But it's kinda hard looking into an empty aquarium. Testing my patience.

hmmm..... u should try pasting some prints of fishes (potential future inhabitants) onto the back of the tank...

That might help :P

Another queer behaviour that I had come to realise.... even though I know that the tank is empty except for the sand and LR, but somehow I am still drawn to stare at it for a few minutes every time I pass by the tank.... ???? :huh:

• SRC Member
Another queer behaviour that I had come to realise.... even though I know that the tank is empty except for the sand and LR, but somehow I am still drawn to stare at it for a few minutes every time I pass by the tank.... ???? :huh:

Bizaare! It's normal to the hobby. Don't worry, you are terminally insane.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif