shrimps and crabs

hi bawater,

sorry about the lobster, but its really good looking. :P

Hi, Phang,

by the way i caught my pistol shrimp at east coast one sunny afternoon and my god, its already 1 yr old! Still digging up tunnels and collapsing Liverocks and ruining my DSB... now with the company of a goby.

I think the only way to get him out is overturning the Rocks or introducing a trigger (risking other occupants)... like mantis shrimp.

I think all marine hobbyist got similar experience of torturing or by conveniently misplacing incompatible livestock in the same tank... causing expected death hahaha... :D rather cruel....

I m thinking of exchanging animals with you guys but the process is rather inconvenient in terms of time and place... :( somemore u might not be ready to accept any animals at the moment.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
I will be interested in a pistol shrimp.

Any body knows where I'm able to get one...

been looking for quite a while...

I do however hear "popping" sounds from my tank... but don't think it's a pistol... more likely mantis shrimps...caught 2 from my tank already... 1 orange and 1 green....

believe there is another .... somewhere in there...seem a number of broken crab shells and claws.... :unsure:

I saw 1 at reborn and 1 at Marine Life Hobbielist. The one at reborn was in a plastic container with red cap. The one at Marine Life Hobbylist was running around in the tube anemone tank. Patrick quoted me $2. I think it was a hitchhiker but I bought it anyway. It mysteriously disappeared in my 2ft tank, must be my nitrates again.

hi Phang,

Pistols look like small crayfish with a claw bigger then the other. It comes in few colors but the one i caught is bluish green after a few molts in my tank. actually i m not sure about its natural color in the wild.

yeh its fun to see how the watchman keeping a lookout outside the pistols' tunnel... they'll share their raw prawn every week i feed them.

but pistols are real trouble makers, digging holes everywhere, u wun be able to c ur flat sandbed again if u keep one. piles of sand everywhere. rocks will sink to the very bottom of ur tank, even collapse. (killed one of my seahorse.) :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
Hi Bluebeard,

You wouldn't want the Mantis Shrimp.... believe me... there won't be much left of yourshrimp/crab setup with this critter in your tank... <_<

Hi Coelacanth,

You manage to find a pistol.... I'm been looking for one for quite awhile...

How does it look like..... I saw pics before ... can be real pretty.. but I think the most interesting thing about these shrimps are the symbiotic relationship they have with sleeper gobies... wouldn't mind trading animals to get this shrimp....

Qixian,

You are refering to the Mantis Shrimp or Pistol.... I have not come across one (Pistol) in any LFS.....

:(

Mantis shrimps can be kept quite well in species tanks esp small ones. Just feed them anything, water conditions no need to be so good, interesting...what else do you want? :)

Hi phang, I'm referring to pistols. The ones I got were about 1" long. Mostly just brownish.

• SRC Member

Hi all,

We just change this topic from FOWLR to .... SOWLR....heehee :P

Qixian...

How much did you pay for the Pistols...

everytime go there... see nothing... except the Mantis shrimps...

Coelacanth,

Your pistol's bluish green??? Nice COLOUR...

;)

would be interesting if can create a miniature tank for one..plus of course adding a watchman goby..

For Mantis Shrimps..... I would definitely be interested in the "Peacock" variety.. heard they are smashers....and grow pretty big....

Anybody out there have extra Pistol Shrimps......to trade or sell????

Phang

• SRC Member

hey i just went to Kwang's today! very interesting shop if you like shrimps and crabs!!!!

i bought

1 monkey shrimp

1 red/white shrimp which i don't know the name (quite common shrimp)

1 crab

2 red crab

also saw the glass shrimps, dare not buy as they are very small, mostly likely will end up as food for my boxing shrimps

got camflouge crab, interesting but rather big, didn't buy

so far it's the most interesting marine shop with lots of shrimps i seen so far!

i will try to go again on tuesday to get more shrimps or crabs!!!!!

• SRC Member

hi mushroom,

i didn't see any emerald crabs there.

Kwangs is somewhere near HaigRoad/DumanRoad/Katong/JooChiat,

here's the map

Kwang's Map

hi coelacanth

actually i think keep crabs can still keep fish, it all depends on what kind of crab and what kind of fish. i think it's ok to keep red crab, hermit crab with small fishes.

i also don't know what is monkey shrimp, the owner told me one.. but it's definitely not sea monkey.. eheheh.. the monkey shrimp is light brown with white dots.

• SRC Member

Harlequin Shrimps are great!!!!!

Except that theirs meals do cost...

Imagine constantly buying starfishes to feed them... and after that the mess they create.... :(

BTW, they are not cheap either...

I got mine at Kwang's for $14

• SRC Member
bluebeard- after looking at the map- i can walk from paya lebar mrt? abt 500m or so right-after lion city hotel? i think can walk i go tonite have a look.

or u take straight bus from tamp?

actually it's ok to walk to Kwang's from Paya Lebar MRT, i just walked today. maybe it's because i used to live around there for 15 years, i find the place rather familar and small and so it's quite near to walk around.. ehehe.. i went there after school today.

hey bawater, i have a feeling this shop close quite early one. i bought anothe porcelin crab today and 4 more red crab.

my humback shrimp just die this morning, second one already, all other shrimps ok. i don't think i want to try humback shrimps anymore, by the way, Kwang's Humback shrimps are rather big.

wah very very nice!!

i saw them at ocean reef at $22 each!!!

very interested to get one myself but they ONLY eat starfish only????

Hi bluebeard,

harlequin shrimp feed on echinoderms, i.e starfish and some species of sea urchin. common starfish (gray color one) cost $4-5 per piece...and one large harlequin takes one week to finish one. some LFS owner say take one month... maybe he's refering to smaller shrimp big starfish. :P

after trial and error, i manage to get a mating pair. seeing how they feast together as a couple is great! they'll help each other to turn the big starfish over. never keep ur prized starfish wit h them.

the feeding of the HS is one the most fascinating sight. first the HS will approach the starfish, after positioning itself, using its petal-like front claws as a support, it'll lift up one arm of the star and start multilating it

:o (takes about 3 hours) after so, it'll take it to one corner to eat. while feasting on it, it'll occasionally feed to star to prevent it from dying (strange isn't it)? the remaining star is still alive, so no worry to foul water.

B)

Hi Phang, u got it at $14? mine is $25! looks like kana con alady. must go down to Kwang's someday.

• SRC Member
Hi Phang, u got it at $14? mine is $25! looks like kana con alady. must go down to Kwang's someday.

Yes, Kwang's prices for livestock is very compeititive....

Harlequin Shrimps are often found in his shop... not only that, the rest of the livestock are also reasonably priced.... however a little limited .... :(

You will understand once you visit the shop...