shrimps and crabs

Kel..hope this news cheers u up...

Anemone shrimp can be kept...I have an anemone/glass shrimp in my tank....its been there for quite a long period of time already....

Though my clown simply refuses to share its anemone wif the shrimp...the latter had some how made its home in my elegance coral. :)

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Lionel and HQX,

i read the article on tropical fish mag in woodlands lib.. can't recall which issue though.. those mags are not meant to be borrowed out.. so, if u go.. sure can find it.. in first level..

lionel,

according to the mag, nobody knows what the shrimps eats.. and the poor survival rate says it all.. <_<

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Hmmm...

I think I will spend more time...observing my anemone shrimp...later juz for fun....most prob I will try giving it some brine shrimp n see if it eats....never really cared about it....cos I tot it will like feed on fine particles...like dried plankton or algae...(which I occasionally dump into my tank)...or possibly the secretion of the elegance...mucus?

Yikes... :rolleyes:

I'm gonna destroy my ego

• SRC Member
Lionel and HQX,

i read the article on tropical fish mag in woodlands lib.. can't recall which issue though.. those mags are not meant to be borrowed out.. so, if u go.. sure can find it.. in first level..

lionel,

according to the mag, nobody knows what the shrimps eats.. and the poor survival rate says it all.. <_<

Mags not meant to be borrowed out? I borrowed mags from Tamp regional library before with no one complaining?

Anyway those shrimp eat all the aquarium foods I gave and I believe they will take anemone tentacles when starved. I think they must be sensitive to temperature change.

• SRC Member

Long long thread. This is the 129th reply. Totally irrelevant.

:ph34r:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

for my case, i think the reason why the anemone shrimps cannot survive in my tank is because there is no anemone for it to hide and also the temperature not good and most important too much predator! my 2 boxer shrimps are really terrorists!

food wise should be no problem i think.

• SRC Member
for my case, i think the reason why the anemone shrimps cannot survive in my tank is because there is no anemone for it to hide and also the temperature not good and most important too much predator! food wise should be no problem i think.

speaking of which, i would like to ask some questions base on this

1. what do u think it is feeding on?

2. what do u feed it with?

3. Does anemone shrimps really need an anemone to stay alive?

4. If so, what type of anemone? From what i know, anemones from the carribean do not really host much inhabitants..

5. what is the ideal temp?

i'm sure answers provided here might help ppl to consider keeping them :)

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

speaking of which, i would like to ask some questions base on this

1. what do u think it is feeding on?

2. what do u feed it with?

3. Does anemone shrimps really need an anemone to stay alive?

4. If so, what type of anemone? From what i know, anemones from the carribean do not really host much inhabitants..

5. what is the ideal temp?

i'm sure answers provided here might help ppl to consider keeping them :)

1. i think they do feed food like the other shrimps do, flakes and brine shrimps.

2. the one i have only last for 2 days only, i feed it flakes and brine shrimps.

3. i read somewhere that anemone shrimps anemone.

4. don't know

5. ideal temp, should be low, i don't have chiller but my other shrimps are doing well.

anyway, the following answers are just my observation and what i read.

for my anemone shrimps, most likely is got attack by the 2 boxer shrimps as i mentioned.

my tank seems to be not able to keep camel shrimps, so far tried 3 already, always got eaten.

one more thing, if you got lots of shrimps in the tank, try not to buy new shrimps that carry eggs. once i buy a cleaner shrimps and by chance it got eggs! all the shrimps attack it to eat it's eggs!!!

Hahahaa....mine sometimes makes its home at the elegance...plate or my rose bulb anemone....It used to go to my bluecarpet anemone...until I removed the anemone.

And I think they do better wif anemones as the latter protects it from other predators....

I used to have another type of anemone shrimp (the brown type that is also affectionately known as ######/ dancing shrimp)....guess who killed it? My seahorse!!!

Temp wise...the current anemone shrimp is in my main tank which is set at 24 degrees....oh...these fellas sometimes carry/ reproduce eggs too....

I'm gonna destroy my ego

• SRC Member
I used to have another type of anemone shrimp (the brown type that is also affectionately known as ######/ dancing shrimp)....guess who killed it? My seahorse!!!

i also have that kind of brown type of anemone shrimp, it's doing ok in my 2feet tank although i don't have anemone , it's been there since i started my tank.

i seldom see it eat but sometimes i do see it eat the pellets i used to feed crabs, call crabs cusines.

wah i don't know sea horse can be so fierce one!!!

me just came home from Sealife, bought a rather big hermit crab for $8. this type seldom see, it's body texture is a bit similar to lobsters, orange.

BB...careful of big hermit crabs...

I used to have an anemone hermit crab.....quite big...so scary that fella...put him in and the next minute...I found out my poor pom-pom crab was missing....

Seahorses do eat shrimps....I sometimes feed my seahorses the fresh water type of shrimps that u can buy for $2 one bagful...

The ###### shrimp can be quite cute...shaking its fat ###### left n rite :lol:

I'm gonna destroy my ego

• SRC Member

dunno abt ur seahorse- mine eats 50% of wat it kills. i think they kill feeder shrimps for fun- also seen the same for live brine shrimps. :angry:

i need to find a living vacumn cleaner!

hermits tear at everything in sight- since stopped keeping them after feeding them to triggers.

• SRC Member

I used to have an anemone hermit crab.....quite big...so scary that fella...put him in and the next minute...I found out my poor pom-pom crab was missing....

Seahorses do eat shrimps....I sometimes feed my seahorses the fresh water type of shrimps that u can buy for $2 one bagful...

hehee.. thanks thanks.. i am keeping a eye on the big hermit crab, so far so good. the other small hermit crab siao one, go and attack the big hermit crab but lucky the big guy didn't fight back.

what's a pom-pom crab?

actually now me very very tempted to get a seahorse! might get one on friday.

hahaaha.. that ###### shrimp is very cute, it's survive better in my tank than those camel shrimps. maybe it's because my ###### shrimp looks like the live rocks, so not easy to see it.

Seahorses do eat shrimps....I sometimes feed my seahorses the fresh water type of shrimps that u can buy for $2 one bagful..

How is that possible?

The mouth of a seahorse is tubelike and so small... only live mysis or brine shrimp can fit in!

:blink:

• SRC Member

yes really...........

its true

i have to agree with AT

it's practically impossible

the mouth of a seahorse can only eat food a few hundred microns long!!!

while a new born baby seahorse mouth is the length of 35 microns long which means they can eat food only a bit smaller

how can it be possible that he eats those freshwater shrimps?!?!?

unless u take really the smallest of the smallest shrimps

then ............

i dunno liao :lol:

• SRC Member

oh no AT!- they can suck a small feeder in........leaving no evidence.

i got a giant one wif half a feeder in its mouth..by the time i ran for the camera it already swallowed the thing. smaller shrimps just get sucked in.

been trying for a pic for days......................waiting...waiting....!

BB- i asked reborn yesterday wat he fed his SH......He doesn't feed them- says seawater got food????(i dun disagree but not for more than a week unless u have an ocean),i was stumped - if anyone follows that kind of advice then good luck,the creatures doomed from the start. ;) . but if u want to try then i suggest to get from reefworld-$3 for a mixture of species.

since u go everywhere on regular basis-(me too):

one fish i'm looking for (my ultimatefish). Its a harlequin tuskfish(small specimen 3"-4").

usually from phillipines & australia.(the aussie ones have a blueish tint at the tail). Has...vampireish teeth"hence the tusk".Teeth Bluish in colour.

a hardy predator,eats frozen foods- non aggressive & can be keep in FO wif angels etc..It grows up to 30cm. i've seen it before but didn't have space-now i have but not spotted any recently.

shouldn't be more $$ than a flame angel.

It will live together with a lion in their own tnk.

• SRC Member

actually i agree that's it's very possible for the seahorse or other creatures to slower suck their food.

i also agree from the owner of reborn that there is food in the seawater for the seahorses. if i didn't remember wrongly, the tank when reborn keep their seahorses, just behind them are the containers where he keep his live rocks and the water came from there.

of course if we use tap water and add salt for our tank, there won't be anything for the seahorses to eat. for reborn or any other marine shops, i think they should be using fresh seawater.

bawater, reefworld's seahorse big? why i want to buy from reborn is because the seahorse there is very small but small one i scare die easily.

maybe one of these days we can go reborn and kwang's together!

i went to Sealife yesterday, the owner told me he got new stock of special fishes (from hawaill i think, cannot remember what he told me) coming on thursday. i saw a very nice fish from phillipines at sealife, owner want to give me discount from $15 to $12 but i didn't buy because this fish will grow big!

found the picture of harlequin tuskfish, never see in LFS leh. now my bro is crazy over emperor and queen! and also blueface.

• SRC Member

seldom go down to sealife-

have to make a trip soonest.(i think only mon)

thanks clowntrigg.

BB-at reefworld- look under their clam tank. Its full of algae & look closely should be able to pick out any seahorse (these r the bigger ones they hold)

ps how u get to sealife? phang told me bus 145 or somethin from lavender?

i usually walk from lavender mrt(that's why i seldom go).Last trip i came from bugis to kelantan lane then on to sealife- by foot(a hot sat afternoon gone).

• SRC Member
seldom go down to sealife-

have to make a trip soonest.(i think only mon)

thanks clowntrigg.

BB-at reefworld- look under their clam tank. Its full of algae & look closely should be able to pick out any seahorse (these r the bigger ones they hold)

ps how u get to sealife? phang told me bus 145 or somethin from lavender?

i usually walk from lavender mrt(that's why i seldom go).Last trip i came from bugis to kelantan lane then on to sealife- by foot(a hot sat afternoon gone).

sealife? there are quite a lot of buses to get there, depends on where you going from.

124 from orchard

145 from lavender

130 from bugis i think

139 from serangoon i think

for me i usually go there by 124, have to cross the road.

if you take 139 from toa payoh central, the place you drop off don't have to cross road.

wah, walk from kelantan to sealife is very very far!

actually it's ok to walk from lavender or from ocean life.

wah so many place to go on friday, i will have to go nature on friday to collect the 18watt 50/50 JBL PL tube on friday, i just order it yesterday only. then since at nature, will most likely go Sealife too!

• SRC Member

The '######' shrimp seems to be much hardier than the anemone shrimp. And where did you get the pom-pom crab? I want one!

• SRC Member

The '######' shrimp seems to be much hardier than the anemone shrimp. And where did you get the pom-pom crab? I want one!

ya lor i also want pom pom crab! whatever it is! hhahaha.. since it's safe in your reef tank, my tank should be ok la.

anyone seen hermit crabs anywhere lately? i want to buy more! the one i just got is big but very safe, don't disturb the others.