Newbie need help

• SRC Member

HI guys, i'm starting a new 2ft tank. For reef and fish enviornment. Is this the correct procedure for starting up. Please Advise

1. Add washed fine sands, gravel and those broken down coral pieces to the Bed of the tanks.

2. Add water(tapwater) to let it run overnite to de-chlorine the water.

3.Then add in marine salt to the water. And test with the hydrometer. (for 1 week)

4. Add liverocks to the water once the water is mature? and monitor the water condition for 2-3weeks? with water tester ph, no2 and ammonia?

5. i have to make sure that ph is 8.0 to 8.3, no2 is 0 and ammonia 0 b4 i can add in any live stocks?

6. I'm using a canister filter with 3 layer. I'm currently intending to put layer 1 (lowest layer) those ceremic pieces, layer 2 (middle layer) matrix carbon, phoseguard and hypersorb MIX together in a filter bag, and layer 3 (top layer) sponges with very fine pores.

Is this configurations correct? Please Advise esp on the mid layer?

7. Getting a protein skimmer and chiller at the mid of Nov and can kendly advise the setup of it? Protein skimmer alone and my canister filter outlet flow to the chiller?

I ask a skimmer called Turbo-Skimmer. Selling $19.90 @ serangoon north a shop near rainbow.

The Higher HP the chiller the colder?

wat else a protein skimmer need ofr just need a air pump? so do i need to put air bubbles into the tank? i mean like fresh water tank pump water to the tank using those air stones or just use the protein skimmer can le?

8. The resun chiller CL-300 i ask over my side here the shop owner say it's recommended for 2-3ft tank and can preset to 24 deg C. The lowest can set is 24 deg. Selling @ $280. 1 year warrenty.

1154750779_a95e183733_o.gif

--Tank--

3.8ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft - 12mm(Main) Ñ„ 3ft x 2ft x 2ft - 8mm (Sump)

--Equipments--

Chiller - 3/4hp Pacific Coo Ñ„ FR - Resun FR Ñ„ Skimmer - ATI Bubble Master 250 - Reef Maniac 30" Beckeet Ñ„ Filter - Schuran Trickle filter Ñ„ Controllers - Aquatronica Advance Controller System

--Pumps--

Return Pump - Rio 24 HF Ñ„ Beckeet Pump - Resun MD55 Ñ„ Equipment Pump - Aquabee 3000 Ñ„ Wavemaker - Tunze 6060, 2 x Seio 1500

• SRC Member

1. Add washed fine sands, gravel and those broken down coral pieces to the Bed of the tanks.

I was told it is better to add water first then the sand.

Look for marine salt which will had elements to do it for you.

3.Then add in marine salt to the water. And test with the hydrometer. (for 1 week)

Try to get 1.023 - 1.025 range.

4. Add liverocks to the water once the water is mature? and monitor the water condition for 2-3weeks? with water tester ph, no2 and ammonia?

Add a prawn to start the cycle. Do not do any tests during this stage.

Once the prawn decompose, do a NO3 aka nitrate test. When the no3 register 0, you can start adding LS

5. i have to make sure that ph is 8.0 to 8.3, no2 is 0 and ammonia 0 b4 i can add in any live stocks?

There are more than that. NO3 for example.

6. I'm using a canister filter with 3 layer. I'm currently intending to put layer 1 (lowest layer) those ceremic pieces, layer 2 (middle layer) matrix carbon, phoseguard and hypersorb MIX together in a filter bag, and layer 3 (top layer) sponges with very fine pores.

Is this configurations correct? Please Advise esp on the mid layer?

Try to use sump tank. Wat is your tank size?

7. Getting a protein skimmer and chiller at the mid of Nov and can kendly advise the setup of it? Protein skimmer alone and my canister filter outlet flow to the chiller?

I ask a skimmer called Turbo-Skimmer. Selling $19.90 @ serangoon north a shop near rainbow.

wat else a protein skimmer need ofr just need a air pump? so do i need to put air bubbles into the tank? i mean like fresh water tank pump water to the tank using those air stones or just use the protein skimmer can le?

I highly doubt the skimmer will be able to perform. Need to know the tank size first. There were advises abt buying from rainbow. Maybe you like to look around to compare prices first before committing. :)

8. The resun chiller CL-300 i ask over my side here the shop owner say it's recommended for 2-3ft tank and can preset to 24 deg C. The lowest can set is 24 deg. Selling @ $280. 1 year warrenty.

For resun try reading the specs first. The type of chiller is dependent on your tank size as well in term of litre.

All these info are compiled from my reading of the threads here. Try waiting for senior reefers to gives their opinion as well as my info may differ in other's view.

Good luck in your setting up. ;)

• SRC Member

No difference adding water first or sand first... but better to mix salt water first before adding sand

What do u mean by look for marine salt which wil had elements? All salt will have trace elements which have got nothing to do with cholrine.

You can use de-chlorinator which will remove both chlorine and chloramine. Take note that chloramine cannot be removed by letting the water run overnight.

Add a prawn to start the cycle. Do not do any tests during this stage.

Once the prawn decompose, do a NO3 aka nitrate test. When the no3 register 0, you can start adding LS.

If you are using uncured LR, there's no requirement to use a market prawn to start a cycle. You can do so if u want to. During the cycle, take note of ammonia and NO2 level. Once they reach zero, u can start stocking. It is almost impossible to get zero nitrates. Once NO2 and NH4 is zero, do a water change to lower down the nitrates and u r safe to start stocking SLOWLY

Yes u r right.

Try to invest on a better skimmer. It is important.

Normally, we don't use air pump in a marine tank, just make sure there's a good flowrate in the tank and the surface is well agitated.

For chiller, get one to suits your tank, over-sizing the chiller will incur unnecessary electricity bill

For resun try reading the specs first. The type of chiller is dependent on your tank size as well in term of litre.

No requirement for reef tank to go down to such a low temperature. 26-27deg is good enough...

All these info are compiled from my reading of the threads here. Try waiting for senior reefers to gives their opinion as well as my info may differ in other's view.

Good luck in your setting up.

Sometimes I wonder why we try so hard to remove chlorine when NSW contains more than 50% chlorine?

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

I don't know if your canister water flow goes top down or bottom up, but whichever the case is, the first layer the water should come in contact with should be the mechanical filter....

Water in -> Sponge -> Carbon, Chemipure etc -> Rowaphos -> BioHome, BioBalls etc -> Water out

Something like that....

Be sure to clean your canister frequently to prevent it from becoming a nitrate factory

• SRC Member

What do u mean by look for marine salt which wil had elements? All salt will have trace elements which have got nothing to do with cholrine.

You can use de-chlorinator which will remove both chlorine and chloramine. Take note that chloramine cannot be removed by letting the water run overnight.

http://www.eaquarist.com/product_view.php?...22&pg=0&itm=304

Coral Marine Sea Salt 6.8kg

For all marine fish and reef & coral life. SCIENTIFIC FORMULA. Guarantee High Purity Enriched Blend. Contains; tap water dechlorinator. pH buffer. Bio available calcium. Strontium. Molybdate. No phosphates. No nitrates. Rich in all 70 trace elements found in natural seawater. Fast dissolving. INSTRUCTIONS: Mix Coral Marine ™ with fresh water to a specific gravity of 1.020 to 1.023 at 73°F to 77°F (23°C to 25°C). If specific gravity is low, add more CORAL MARINE™. If high, add more fresh water. Mix Coral Marine™ before adding to aquarium. Make a partial water change of 10% every 2-3 weeks or 25% every 4 to 6 weeks.

what I meant is highlighted in red at the info of the marine salt.

Actually its stated that many salt brands are very inaccurate in their composition of various elements

• SRC Member

You still need to add anti-chlorine. Tap water contains both chlorine and chloramine, and running the water overnight will only remove chlorine. You will still need to remove the chloramine.

• SRC Member

Thanks guys for all ur help. Will take note of the pointers given.

1. My is a 2(length)x1(width)x2(height) tank.

2. Canister is Top to botton flow.

3.If i'm intending to keep some corals and anmoies in then best with keep temp 24deg?

4.The Chiller is Resun CL300 recommended for 2 - 3ft tank.

5.Protein skimmer i find PriZm de too Ex le ... have cheaper to intro the Turbo skimmer works with powerhead. Rainbow selling $36 Petmart$20 the shop across selling $19.90.

Running on airstone (limestone) and powerhead wat the difference?

Wats the cost of changing of the airstone?

The Turbo-Skimmer brand is normal size about 25-30cm.

Weipro and TurboSkimmer the rainbow person recommend turboskimmer. claim suitable for 2ft tank.

--Tank--

--Equipments--

Chiller - 3/4hp Pacific Coo Ñ„ FR - Resun FR Ñ„ Skimmer - ATI Bubble Master 250 - Reef Maniac 30" Beckeet Ñ„ Filter - Schuran Trickle filter Ñ„ Controllers - Aquatronica Advance Controller System

--Pumps--

Return Pump - Rio 24 HF Ñ„ Beckeet Pump - Resun MD55 Ñ„ Equipment Pump - Aquabee 3000 Ñ„ Wavemaker - Tunze 6060, 2 x Seio 1500

As i usually say to beginners, small tanks are much more difficult to maintain

• SRC Member

but 2ft tank is the max in my living room le ...

can tell me roughly those readings which is the best e.g: ph 8.2 then no2 how much no4 how much those kinds.

--Tank--

--Equipments--

--Pumps--

• SRC Member

wat is actuall a sump ah ... ?? those tank with a small little side being cornered up is for wat ah ???

--Tank--

--Equipments--

--Pumps--

• SRC Member

My current tank nothing inside yet.... please advise why some tank the corner have those over flow?

post-6-1098712479.jpg

--Tank--

--Equipments--

--Pumps--

Those at the side is the overflow

A sump is a water reservoir connected to your tank

An overflow can be used as a filtration unit or Dusos can be attached to transport water into the sump

• SRC Member

wats the purpose of a sump? sorry but i really knows nothing and have read nothing about sump on the books.

--Tank--

--Equipments--

--Pumps--

Sump is just like a small tank fitted below or beside your main tank. If your space permits better forget bout it. Better to get a tank which is drilled with an overflow rather than get an LFS to drill a hole for overflow 4 existing tank cause if not drilled properly, tank might crack and cannot use already.

• SRC Member

so a sump is basically like a reservior to keep the water from the main tank. How is a connection going to be done if i wan to connect the tank.

is it like this.

Tank--->Sump--->Canister(in)--->Canister(out)--->Chiller(in)--->Chiller(out)--->Tank.

Tank-->Powerhead-->Protein Remover-->Tank

if i wan to connect to a sump that means that i have to drill a hole to the tank and connect a PVC pipe from the tank flow to the sump?

--Tank--

--Equipments--

--Pumps--

• SRC Member

Hi guys, This is my concept of the layout of the tank. Can Do? Please advise and forgive my ugly drawings. Correct me i'm nuts about it.

post-6-1098774187.jpg

--Tank--

--Equipments--

--Pumps--

• SRC Member

If u already have a spare canister, this is what I would do...

'IN' tube of canister draw water from display tank

'OUT' tube of canister feed to 'IN' tube of protein skimmer

'OUT' tube of protein skimmer to 'IN' of chiller

'OUT' tube of chiller to filter media

Finally, a return to display tank from sump

You save 2 pumps to drive protein skimmer and chiller

post-6-1098781376.jpg

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

i have a small sump guys... can do? thanks for the overwhelming response but i think my canister not so power leh to go through a skimmer and chiller....

This concept of the sump can ???

post-6-1098784512.jpg

--Tank--

--Equipments--

--Pumps--