Tank temp is at 35 degree C for 5 hours

YzF

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

What will you do, if you...

came back form work, took a long nice bath, took a look at your tank and wondered why all your corals are like opening their mouths.

Maybe an extended hours of strong lightings stresses them (Running 8x54w T5). :idea:

Take a look at my sump area and a 35.7 degree C display on my cheapo thermometer caught my attention. :ooh: Take a look at my Teco chiller and it shows 29 degree. Hummm.. :erm: 'Must be the cheapo temp probe fault' :idea:

Hey, how come my calcium reator effluent not dripping either :look: My pump for CR and Chiller is NOT running!! :shock::shock::sick:

That explains why there is a difference in the reading of temp AND also why the corals are so stress up! Even the fishes are not swimming around! :paiseh:

I had switched off the supply last night when i was doing maintance. i carelessly left out one supply. :cry2:

The 8 t5s are blasting the tank since 2pm. There's another 2x24w t5s in my sump area. The fans are in the same socket as that pump :cry2: Was at LCK shopping for more corals..I was back at 8pm..

Quickly switched on the pump for the chiller. Took a small bag of ice (i only have 2 trays of ice left in my fridge) and dump it into the sump to help in bring down the temp. Switched off all my lightings and on ALL my fans..

I have dozens of fishes inside. Including:

a 75 dollars goby,

sunburst (Feeding already),

tangs,

neon goby (did not see it just now)

YashiaS

Hi-fin gobies

Orchid Dottyback (Did not see it either)

Corals:

Plenty of yumass including red, pink, purple

Gonoipora

Acoproa

Hammers

Frogspawn

Red brain

F.Rics

Mushroomss

Sun corals

Blastoss

Moon Corals

Caualties report:

Saw a dead purple flame goby. :huh:

Some Acro RTN. :o

Red prata BLOATED :sick:

Yuma mouth wide open. Brown stuff coming out of their mouth. :yeah:

Blasto tissues FLYING around. :look:

Hammers and frogspawn shrink and mouth disappered. :ph34r:

Moon corals seems totally unaffected. :blink:

Switched on my tunze to help circulation. More tissue flying around :cry:

• SRC Member

Lessons learnt:

1) CHECK YOUR SWITCHES.

2) Use reliable pumps for your critical equipments. Although my pump did not fail me this time. But its going to have the same effect if the pump for chiller or chiller fails.

3) In general, use reliable equipments. Why do you think reefers spend $500-$800 for just a return pump! And $2000 for a small-size chiller?! <_<

4) Best to have separate sockets and try not to have to many plugs at one point. So in the event the 3-pin plug blows, the rest of the equipments are still working!

5) Try not to go to LFS so often, instead try to come home as early as possible to check if you still have a living tank! :evil::lol:

• SRC Member

What live stock do you guys think can make it through? After baking for 5~6 hours..

Remembered some reefer has a similar problems before.

Will need to wait until tomorrow morning to find out what's left :cry:

Do i need to take anything out?? Running a H&S 2001 model now. It does help to ease quite a lot of worries :D . Least i know i have a piece of equipment to help me out in time of need.

• SRC Member

all the best to your precious corals...i bet many of them are expensive stuff..

sometimes luck really plays a part..not to mention our carelessness..

keep us updated!

whats the 75 dollars goby?

which one?

• SRC Member

Couldn't get to sleep. Checked my tank.

Lost the Sunburst

My Dark color yumas seems ok

My rock of pink yuma is melting. Tissue flying all over.

Frogspawn gone together with Hammer.

Think orange and yellow sun carols following close behind.

Elegance folds itself up.

F.Rics becomes like small buttons.

Added abt 500ml of carbon to absorb the toxic produced.

• SRC Member

I made the same mistake when I forgot to check my chiller pump - switch it off but forgot to turn on. Luckily I spotted it in the morning - feeling puzzled why temp reaches 30 degrees.

You can save on anything but not this fail safe device - temp controller.

It is better you add one to switch off all lighting system when temp reaches 29 degrees. As thousands of dollars will evaporate in just one day if your lighting continue to blast your tank - unless your maid act as your temp controller.

I did just that to have more peaceful sleep in the night :snore:

bro....sorry to hear that.

best remove those dying corals before the ammonia build-up from the dying corals crashes the whole tank.

• SRC Member
Lessons learnt:

1) CHECK YOUR SWITCHES.

2) Use reliable pumps for your critical equipments. Although my pump did not fail me this time. But its going to have the same effect if the pump for chiller or chiller fails.

3) In general, use reliable equipments. Why do you think reefers spend $500-$800 for just a return pump! And $2000 for a small-size chiller?! <_<

4) Best to have separate sockets and try not to have to many plugs at one point. So in the event the 3-pin plug blows, the rest of the equipments are still working!

5) Try not to go to LFS so often, instead try to come home as early as possible to check if you still have a living tank! :evil::lol:

Bro, sorry to hear your situation. Hope all is well. If yuo need a space to temporary keep your LS/corals, let me know. I v space in my 5ft and can clear my 2ft cube tank for your temporary use.

Besides the above lessons learnt, you may add in a good tank design that takes care of some of possible happenings. Aka : high system resilency in IT terms.

You may want to do a water change to remove some ammonia possibly building up after some of the casualties/die-offs in your tank.

Good luck bro.

Sorry to hear about your plight. :( Hope that the rest of your livestocks will survive.

Thanks for sharing your experience so that all may learn from it. :)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Bro Nickel, Thank for you offer! i will keep call you if i really need your help. Nice to know there frens around!

i not sure which one is dying leh. I'm still hoping some thing going to make it through.

As of 0800 hrs:

Pink yuma melting stopped. (maybe i uses tunze to blow away the slim produced. Really hope at least one polyp can make it through)

Gonoipora extended??? Look like a spiky ball now.

Most Yumas still look stress

H&S produces some skim-mate only?

Thinking of getter the Zeovit to help in the ammonia part. And also to improve skimming. Useful?? And after this event(no matter what's left), i will run it using zeovit system.

may want to hold on the zeovit for the time being...introducing zeovit does change the water parameter a little or drastically depending on how much youput in and how much you dose.

Your corals are trying to recover from the temp shock ... ... may want to leave them alone before stressing them further... with shock from change of water parameter.

monitor those that are melting and with lots of tissue flying off....they will affect your total water quality.

• SRC Member

Remove the pink yumas and house it in another reefer's tank. Still trying to save it.

Elegance opening. (never open so big before :blink: )

One Orange yuma placed less than 4inches under T5 is ok :blink:

Red brain seems ok now.

Moon still unaffected

2 colonies of Acro RTN

STill left with one colony of SPS Polyp still opening :ooh: Shows some sign of STN

The rest of the yumas look better. Mouths closed.

Skimmer fills half its collection cup.

Yellow tang and blue tang still eating like pigs

Yashias disappeared. Dun know still alive or not.

Changed 20% water.

Was thinking the Zeovit can help in reducing the ammonia and improve the skimmer performance. :o Holding on to it first now.

Casualty Report: Adding on...

2 Red Yuma :sick:

1 F.Ric (multi color):cry:

1 Blasto

Neon goby :cry:

Fire Goby