My tank is alive!!!

cheese

There's not much details so I guess your tank now only got sand, water and 3 clownfish only?

No LR added so very little bacterial to start with and you dump in 3 clownfish at one go. This will sure give a big ammonia spike. For our saltwater reef which pH ard 8.3 the amount of ammonium is many times higher compared to freshwater aquarium because at higher pH greater than 7.2 more ammonia gets converted into ammonium (if I still remember my chemistry :P) so this is more toxic for the fish.

IMO better to remove the fish and add them only after the tank is properly cycled.

Got it! Will send them to my friend then. Ha, ha, looks like going to stare at the sand for months liao. Or, actually should not have filled the tank n turned on the pumps so early, but wait till next year. Mistake. No choice lah....

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.

Got it! Will send them to my friend then. Ha, ha, looks like going to stare at the sand for months liao. Or, actually should not have filled the tank n turned on the pumps so early, but wait till next year. Mistake. No choice lah....

Okie lar.... save up a bit get some cheapo uncure LR to cycle also not bad.... at least got rocks and algae to see.

Well you could start by adding some cured LR (more the better).

You should know that there are some things that you should not skimp on but there are also some things that you can add on as you go along.

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

When you add tons of live rocks, there are die offs and these bacteria feed on these die offs. Bacteria don't come fr live rock rather they colonized it but they also need "food" to survive.

Cured live rocks means they have finished their nitrogen cycle. That doesn't mean that the rocks are full of bacteria.

Shan't take up too much of cheese thread to discuss this. Have fun.

When you add tons of live rocks, there are die offs and these bacteria feed on these die offs. Bacteria don't come fr live rock rather they colonized it but they also need "food" to survive.

Cured live rocks means they have finished their nitrogen cycle. That doesn't mean that the rocks are full of bacteria.

Shan't take up too much of cheese thread to discuss this. Have fun.

Cured LR doesn't mean that it has finished its nitrogen cycle but is that the rock is being put through quarantine to relieve the effects from the die off and allow all available liveform to grow

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

hope your nemo will be ok inside bro

nemo are cute fishes~~ dun let it die~~

if you want to cycle your water faster~~ can get some old mature

water from reefer or wat~~~

test your water parameter first b4 throw in any stuff

the more you want to save~~ you will end up more dead livestock~~

so be patience bro~~~

BOTTOMLINE....it is always a smart move to listen to some advice.....and do up your own reading. Some guys over here speaks from the experiences, some from extensive reading and researches. Cheese...its best you listen to the advices and do a little more research to verify and close the gaps.

Happy Reefing...welcome to the money pit...

It's all done n OK now. Have just sent that 3 fellows to my friend's hse.

My children cried n cried n I took really quite some time to explain to them. *sign*...so sad. :( They were all so happy when they carried them back home this afternoon, and staring them for the whole evening.

My wife was so angry with me that I made the whole family so unhappy over that $1 each Nemo, where each gold fish easily cost more than $5 nowaday. And spending so much time to drive them to my friend's hse, plus the to n fro petrol already cost more than $3.

Nevertheless, I'm now at least no more guilty and taking the advice from the people here to try and keep the Nemo alive.

Since the LR should come in many months later, and running the tank with just sand would gain nothing beside wasting electricity; even if I throw a prawn in, the LR still will not come in sooner, and by that time the whole ANN will have to restart all over again.

Hence, I have shutdown all the pumps and drained out the water, and will clean them up slowly. Ha, ha, that was $30 of salt + water down the drain. I really thought I have already been real patience enough to take almost a year to reach this stage...

Well, will read up more, and really save up more before starting again. No $, really dun try Marine. Thought it was happy beginning when I started this thread this afternoon to share my joy, didn't know it could end up by the night making the whole family crying n sad, except wife...angry.

Moderator,

Since my tank have stopped now, there seems no point to carry on with this thread. U may like to remove it as this thread has no more meaning, because my tank is dead again.

:thanks: Thank u guys for your sharing. :bow::bow::bow: Wait till my tank is alive again, c u!

Cheers!

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.

• SRC Member
It's all done n OK now. Have just sent that 3 fellows to my friend's hse.

My children cried n cried n I took really quite some time to explain to them. *sign*...so sad. :( They were all so happy when they carried them back home this afternoon, and staring them for the whole evening.

My wife was so angry with me that I made the whole family so unhappy over that $1 each Nemo, where each gold fish easily cost more than $5 nowaday. And spending so much time to drive them to my friend's hse, plus the to n fro petrol already cost more than $3.

Nevertheless, I'm now at least no more guilty and taking the advice from the people here to try and keep the Nemo alive.

Since the LR should come in many months later, and running the tank with just sand would gain nothing beside wasting electricity; even if I throw a prawn in, the LR still will not come in sooner, and by that time the whole ANN will have to restart all over again.

Hence, I have shutdown all the pumps and drained out the water, and will clean them up slowly. Ha, ha, that was $30 of salt + water down the drain. I really thought I have already been real patience enough to take almost a year to reach this stage...

Well, will read up more, and really save up more before starting again. No $, really dun try Marine. Thought it was happy beginning when I started this thread this afternoon to share my joy, didn't know it could end up by the night making the whole family crying n sad, except wife...angry.

Moderator,

Since my tank have stopped now, there seems no point to carry on with this thread. U may like to remove it as this thread has no more meaning, because my tank is dead again.

:thanks: Thank u guys for your sharing. :bow::bow::bow: Wait till my tank is alive again, c u!

Cheers!

oooppppsss...sorry mate...

i can spare u some LRs as well(not much lah..but maybe about 4-5pieces)...sorry to hear that your family is so unhappy.. :(

pm me if u need them...fully cured LRs to help u with the cycling!!! :angel:

• SRC Member

OMG :nc: that bad?

upset kids and angry wife

but u did the right thing :) kudos to you

a serious reefer in the making :bow:

dun waste ur water just like that. add in the market prawn and cycle your tank

get fully cured liverocks when u want to add in those liverocks :)

try pasir ris farms for rocks... hey dun cost a bomb and are usually quite corraline algae encrusted :D

• SRC Member

aiyo.....so wasted to give up like that.....you might have made some mistake along the way, but personally i think there are many ways to skin a cat....since you have already a tank with only sand and probably a canisiter, i feel that it is still ok as your canister will still be able to take care of the AN cycle.....just do regular water change to remove the No3.....

You may then want to proceed REALLY REALLY slowly from then...do not stock up any more and control the feeding to your fishes. Instead of getting Live rock (which are more expensive), put in completely dead rocks....these rock if dry and sun for an extended period of time should not contain anything to die off, so should be safe to put in without causing another ANN cycle.....they are also cheaper and will eventually turned to live rock...when you have time at the beach, scoop up some sand....this should contain some organisum to help make your rocks more alive....

its always sad to see pple leaving the hobby....

• SRC Member

sigh....sometime the brothers here are a bit too harsh in their comments.... i understand that everyone here loves their fishes and hates it when other mis-treat their fishes....but instead of flaming them we should all give constructive idea instead of putting them down....

We should be encouraging and helping each other....now we have 1 less buddy in the hobby.... :cry:

cheese, hope you will be able to rebuilt your confident and come back to the hobby soon....

Hope this will bring us to think about what the forum is about. Let's think about how we can best help out an aspiring reefer on starting out the hobby... giving them good advice AND .....offering help FROM the BEGINNING helps....

kindly refrain from slamming anyone....all that was achieved --> driving pple away from the hobby.

We are here to share and help guys in responsible reefing, not slam pple whenever they make a mistake, especially when they are very very new in the hobby. Things could have been handled in a better way.

Cheese, you have a great attitude towards the hobby, sorry to hearthat things turned out that way. Hope to see you back soon. :peace: