Upgraded Reef - 2ft to 3ft

Jimng

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Supporter

Interesting... you seems to be getting the darker colours in your SPS thats often associated with MHs....

Like to know whther if tey coloured up over time or the SPS managed to hold their colours under your current light regiment??

• SRC Member
Interesting... you seems to be getting the darker colours in your SPS thats often associated with MHs....

Like to know whther if tey coloured up over time or the SPS managed to hold their colours under your current light regiment??

In my previous tank that i use MH (150W-20k) , i find that the sps colouration is lighter and harder to colour up (dont have so many sps then), seems to me that T5 can bring out the sps colours better and more uniformly, but that said (i am doing things differently in my new tank which i think helps with the survivability and coluration of the sps (i believe so- lighting is only 1 of the factor). .... ;):lol:

• SRC Member

Oops, missed your point there, quite hard to give a definite statement to that but i have some sps that keeps their colours when introduced to the new tank and some that were brown and coloured up nicely over time....but i see difference when condition changes ----temperature, flow....etc

• SRC Member

Nice results you're getting with your corals... do share with us your reef husbandry. :)

Thanks bro - some of the things i was doing differently from my old tank- :idea:

-Make sure the return of the chiller reach the main tank first, previously made the

mistake of returning to the sump (when the chilled water reach the main tank,

the temp may have risen). zooxanthalae seems to like colder water-color :lol:

-Clean Skimmer every night - seems to get better result with cleaner collection cup

especially the bubbling area-cleaner the better

-Better water flow throughout tank (had the Tunze Turbelle last time but didn't

install in the old 2ft tank (Too powerful and looks a bit odd)

-Used Marc Weiss Products in the new tank -i do see changes when i use them,

believe it will also need tank stability for it to perform

-Used T5 in place of my old 150W 20k MH - sps seems to color up better

-Dose Kalk every morning

-Feed Phytoplankton every Sunday

-And things that i may be doing differently but didn't really take note - so

a journal will be good..... tried a few times but not discipline enough to follow

through :upsidedown:

• SRC Member

Thanks bro - some of the things i was doing differently from my old tank- :idea:

-Make sure the return of the chiller reach the main tank first, previously made the

mistake of returning to the sump (when the chilled water reach the main tank,

the temp may have risen). zooxanthalae seems to like colder water-color :lol:

-Clean Skimmer every night - seems to get better result with cleaner collection cup

especially the bubbling area-cleaner the better

-Better water flow throughout tank (had the Tunze Turbelle last time but didn't

install in the old 2ft tank (Too powerful and looks a bit odd)

-Used Marc Weiss Products in the new tank -i do see changes when i use them,

believe it will also need tank stability for it to perform

-Used T5 in place of my old 150W 20k MH - sps seems to color up better

-Dose Kalk every morning

-Feed Phytoplankton every Sunday

-And things that i may be doing differently but didn't really take note - so

a journal will be good..... tried a few times but not discipline enough to follow

through :upsidedown:

Interesting point of view.

I felt your tank brings out the red very easily.

I got a feeling your coral turning redder is becasue you have 6000K bulb .... I am not sure ... my current tank using 14K is kind of blue which might explain why I could keep the blue sps without any problem ... but when i introduce the pink sps the color become kind of darker... even the ips are turning purplish ..

i always felt that there is a reason why the japanese are targeting individual lighting on their coral because simply the sps from different part of the sea depth required diferent spectrum of lighting.

i think I might want to try to get a 6000K lighting and target at the pink sps to see if the color turns lighting ...

• SRC Member

Interesting point of view.

I felt your tank brings out the red very easily.

I got a feeling your coral turning redder is becasue you have 6000K bulb .... I am not sure ... my current tank using 14K is kind of blue which might explain why I could keep the blue sps without any problem ... but when i introduce the pink sps the color become kind of darker... even the ips are turning purplish ..

i always felt that there is a reason why the japanese are targeting individual lighting on their coral because simply the sps from different part of the sea depth required diferent spectrum of lighting.

i think I might want to try to get a 6000K lighting and target at the pink sps to see if the color turns lighting ...

I always have this feeling on the various type of lighting temperatures....

Towards the Red : 6k - For growth

Towards the Actinic : 20k - For color shades (Diff zooxanthalae response differently)

Between - 10k-14k - Good for viewing and in between for growth and color shades.

Of course the intensities of each temperature also plays an important part....

Just some thoughts there but didn't do any research on them..... :ph34r:

• SRC Member
OH WOW..... :shock: look at the Ric Florida.....drooling man!

:lol: I had always wanted a Ric garden - thought Henry was goin to start that with his special tank but didn't really happen....it would be very very beautiful with all the different type of Rics (like flowers) in a tank ....... :eyebrow:

• SRC Member

:lol: I had always wanted a Ric garden - thought Henry was goin to start that with his special tank but didn't really happen....it would be very very beautiful with all the different type of Rics (like flowers) in a tank ....... :eyebrow:

yeah intend on doing one myself....mushies , rics and yumas on the left side of my tank..... ;)