Topping up water with kalk

aStRoBo|

• SRC Member

i heard some reefers here do top up water with kalk mix, is it that u mix the kalk with water, den pour in the clear solution into the sump or tank? after pouring, the white residue is to be thrown away or can use it again? :thanks:

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member
i heard some reefers here do top up water with kalk mix, is it that u mix the kalk with water, den pour in the clear solution into the sump or tank? after pouring, the white residue is to be thrown away or can use it again? :thanks:

u gotta drip the clear solution... then after dripping, pour away the rest of the residue and mix again

• SRC Member

u gotta drip the clear solution... then after dripping, pour away the rest of the residue and mix again

bro, i dun mean drip in this case, i mean topping up, which means using few litres of kalk solution.. :nc:

ga051025.gif

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

bro, i dun mean drip in this case, i mean topping up, which means using few litres of kalk solution.. :nc:

oh.. i misunderstood your question.. i normally pour away the residue and mix a new batch again.. read about it in one of the issues of reefkeeping.com..

• SRC Member

I mix kalk with cold water and drip in everything before it settles. This way can get more Ca into the tank but must watch Ph does not swing more than 0.2

Learn htis way from Coral Propagation book V.1

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member
I mix kalk with cold water and drip in everything before it settles. This way can get more Ca into the tank but must watch Ph does not swing more than 0.2

and does tat mean the kalk residue also enter ur tank? :huh:

ga051025.gif

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

No residue as solution is still calky colour. Important is to have everything into tank in 10 mins before residue starts to form. Actually don't know if I followed the book correctly but I have been doing this was for months. Before that, I use only clear solution and found it wasteful.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member
No residue as solution is still calky colour. Important is to have everything into tank in 10 mins before residue starts to form. Actually don't know if I followed the book correctly but I have been doing this was for months. Before that, I use only clear solution and found it wasteful.

Actually you are right... using clear solution is definitely very wasteful and the only drawback as u have mentioned is the pH swing.. maybe i shall try your method :D

• SRC Member

yup...i do it this way too and I cll it the lazy way out... :D

so far no prob... :)

Got the American Marine ph monitor that can monitor all the time and it doesn't show any problem in doing so... :)

• SRC Member

i used to pour a whole 3 ltr each time..but my fishes dun like it...they start to pant like mad...so no choice, i drip it as advised..

kalk solution usually has PH of around 12-13..once i pour the kalk solution into my tank, my tank's PH goes from 8 to 8.3-8.4...so it is quite a significant change..and considered quite terrible for fishes..

• SRC Member

I do it the easy and practical way, add one third of a tea spoon or less for 2.5 liters of water (my case is RO), leave it for a few bours for the residue to settle and pour into the sump save for the residue after the lights are out to prevent PH swing. My dosage is very low and not in accordance with the instruction.

I have been doing this for about 2 years and do not have any problems, coraline algae shows good growth.