How do u care for a pipefish?

hobbes

• SRC Member

Hi, I wanna buy a pipefish.

Do ikeep them in pair? and is it ok to mix 2 diff. speices of pipfish? must they be paired up or 1 each is fine?

What do you guys feed them? reefsafe? tankmates?

aww.. i wanan know as much b4 i buy them

Do they prefer good lighting or poor?

My 2ft tank have Shrimps of all sorts.. very tiny ones.. glass, ######, haliquin and a hermit. (:

• SRC Member
Hi, I wanna buy a pipefish.

Do ikeep them in pair? and is it ok to mix 2 diff. speices of pipfish? must they be paired up or 1 each is fine?

What do you guys feed them? reefsafe? tankmates?

aww.. i wanan know as much b4 i buy them

Do they prefer good lighting or poor?

My 2ft tank have Shrimps of all sorts.. very tiny ones.. glass, ######, haliquin and a hermit. (:

its ok to keep them in a reef tank...but not a sps tank as a sps tank current is too strong..as for shrimps...i strongly am against keeping them with blood shrimps and coral banded shrimp...i lost at least 10 pipes to these fishes..

as for tank mates, i didnt keep them with fishes so not very sure but they are about the same as seahorses..no aggressive tank mates...

yes..two sperate species can be kept together and they need not be paired up...its almost impossible to tell between male and female..1 each is also fine..

best if your tank has a lot of pods, else feed them BBS and live brine shrimp until u have trained them to take frozen...banded pipefish is one of the easiet to ween on frozen..however same as seahorses...its better to enrich their food unless its frozen..they also do take frozen mysis...

as for me ...my pipes usually were given a good treat when my cleaners or skunks breed and release they shrimplets into the water...its the pipes favourtie..

Hmmm..I kept my pipes in sps tank last time. Best if you have alot of caves for them to swim in and out of. Certain species are easier to wean onto frozen foods. Such as normal banded pipefish and Jann's pipefish. I find the orange banded pipefish one of the hardest pipefish to wean.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Depends on the size of the ###### shrimps and the glass shrimps compared to the pipefish. Mine left my ###### and glass shrimps alone. Newly introduced shrimps should be guided to the rockwork. If you just dump then into the water column, your tame pipefish might think they're mysis. I lost a shrimp like that before. It did'nt get devoured...but it got stunned to death by the suction of the pipefish.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
Thanks alot for your replies!!

The pipefish wont eat my ###### and glass shrimps rite??

btw.. post some pictures of yr pipfish tank leh :P

yo bro! went pasir ris 35d today.... they have 4 types of pipes on sale! the normal banded, orange banded, dragon pipe and think got the Jann's pipe. ;)

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• 7 months later...
  • SRC Member

it the maturity of ur tank.. and the copepods i donno whether can buy anot.. cause it way too small.. some maybe big.. yaya.. haha.. check with the older sea horse reefer.. ya.. haha..

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png