Mars...

coralreef

• SRC Member

eerrmm pardon me but AHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA...... I waited for the whole big picture to download, then was going like "ay? only black what... ORRRRRRRRRR that tiny blur thing...." HAHHAHAHAHA..... but anyhow isn't mars supposed to be red? and what telescope and camera combination are you using? any nice pics of the moon?

• SRC Member

i went east coast last night to look at mars with a super old 20x telescope..

it didnt seem red,

and i didnt even know whether i saw the caves and canyons on mars or if it was dirt collected in the telescope! :(

• SRC Member

i dun think you will see much red at this time due to its distance with earth. Instead you will see a tinge of red and the planet will look very bright. A bright dot.

A normal bino will give you abt 10c coins size. Quite big compare to normal day.

Those interested to see the one that AT posted, shld head for Sci Ctr this Sat.

Otherwise, just use your eyes. It should still be there for the next few days.

South Eastern direction. Best is 10pm.

• SRC Member

I went with some of my friends last night to look at Mars through some of the big telescopes.

Actually, with Mars being so bright and close to earth, the seeing is actually quite bad. It is like staring at the a bright light, so all the details such as the polar ice caps, volcanoes and valleys are drowned out.

Details that I can see 3 months ago were all gone now.

Actually, what is more interesting now is Uranus. It is also at its brightest in many years, and shows up as a small blue disc in telescopes.